• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin 2011 MIT MFin Placement Report

Why do you think an increasing number of people are "postponing job search" every year?

Is it just me, or the report really does not tell what percentage of student did finally manage to get employed? It just tells you what percentage of total students were seeking employment, not how many of them actually got employed within 3 months, which is what I guess prospective students would be much more interested in. Funny that no one finds it odd.

Is it just me, or the report really does not tell what percentage of student did finally manage to get employed?

"85.0% of job seeking students received an offer by graduation. 91.5% received an offer by three months after graduation. 89.4% received and accepted offers by three months after graduation."

Well i think one reason why MIT placement is poor compared to Columbia MFE or CMU MSCF is because their program is not true Quant program. I would not expect any better by any 1 year program in Finance.

3 months after graduation
MIT 2011 placement: 89.4%
CMU 2011 placement: 92%

How is MIT's placement "poor"?

Aaron, it talks only about "job seeking students" - and conveniently does not include about 18-odd percent of the students who "chose" to postpone their job search. Very bad numbers, on the back of a 1-month delay.

If they can't place 60 students, how will they place 120 this year?

Wowbagger, they are not going to include people who do not respond as job-seeking. It's like a country's unemployment rate -- people who don't want jobs can't be considered unemployed, just like graduates who aren't looking for jobs can't be considered not placed. I guarantee CMU and every other college uses the same methods, whether they announce it or not.

I agree with your argument, Aaron. But it is extremely fishy that 18% of their batch decided - in this bad job market - that they wanted to postpone their job search.

Not only does CMU state the reason for excluding a student from their job-seeker pool, they also show which geographies their students were employed in: http://tepper.cmu.edu/corporations-...011-mscf-graduates-status-of-class/index.aspx and http://tepper.cmu.edu/corporations-...raduates-compensation-by-geography/index.aspx

Just for the record, ZERO students from CMU postponed their job search last year.

They adhere to the MBA CSC standards. I think MIT Sloan is just trying to gloss over the numbers - even then, they couldn't change the $30k low figure. These are bad numbers, and there's no point denying it. We can just hope that the next ones would be better.

Well they even added another round of admissions. This clearly shows they didnot get good applicants and the ones which were admitted are backing out. Shame on MIT brand.

bansalmohit, let's not generalize. There's no reason to say that the MFin program isn't good. It's just that their placement statistics are not as good as they want us to believe.

And "Shame on MIT brand"? Why the hatred, mate?

Well i think one reason why MIT placement is poor compared to Columbia MFE or CMU MSCF is because their program is not true Quant program. I would not expect any better by any 1 year program in Finance.
I do not believe Columbia MFE releases any detailed placement stats. How did you compare?
Also, MIT MFin is not an MFE program so it's orange and apple.

Princeton has 100% rate. I think, Princeton has three different track within their MFin program.

Andy: Do you have the similar report for Princeton by any chance? Thank you.

Where did you get your funny information about Columbia from? They have been suffering placing their students for 3 years now mate!

Andy: Do you have the similar report for Princeton by any chance? Thank you.
The only MFE programs that release yearly report with useful detailed info that I'm aware of: Baruch MFE, UCLA MFE, UCB MFE, CMU MSCF.
Notice that except Baruch MFE, the other programs are offered by their business school which making these info available is the norm.

The statistics is presented in a strange manner. I know of at least two students going straight to phD finance programs, and there could be more. Yet the employment report just lumped them into the "postponing job search" section. Someone in the class of 2011 just commented on the 30k figure. It's a for a student working with sovereign funds in Asia where the tuition+living cost for his 4 years of undergrad and master at MIT were all paid for. The student is committed to going back to working for this fund, but 30k is a good salary in that country.

The statistics is presented in a strange manner. I know of at least two students going straight to phD finance programs, and there could be more. Yet the employment report just lumped them into the "postponing job search" section. Someone in the class of 2011 just commented on the 30k figure. It's a for a student working with sovereign funds in Asia where the tuition+living cost for his 4 years of undergrad and master at MIT were all paid for. The student is committed to going back to working for this fund, but 30k is a good salary in that country.

This absolutely makes sense. MIT receives very large number of applications and has an impeccable and Immaculate reputation.
It's just that they have not polished or sugarcoated their placement stats like other schools.

Can you share your source for the $30k comment, Pennyless? As an international student with a Class of 2013 admit, I would like to know as much about the veracity/distribution of these stats as possible.

Can you share your source for the $30k comment, Pennyless? As an international student with a Class of 2013 admit, I would like to know as much about the veracity/distribution of these stats as possible.

The source is from the MIT MFin Class of 2012 facebook group. We have been more actively discussing this employment report than you have here. ;) We were really curious about some of these figures and want to clarify some things up. Although that group is a closed group for students of the current class, we have retained some students from the class of 2011 in the group to be our academic/career peer advisors. They provided their comments on the employment report.

Just another quick comment for those interpreting the salary figures. There are 20% of students from that class that went into investment banking. The base salary is not a very good indicator of their actual earnings for the year.

Also, got confirmed that another girl was in "postponed job search" because she got married right after graduation.

The statistics is presented in a strange manner.
As current student, you are in a better position than many people here to make suggestion to improve future reports, correct?
If some of these figures look strange and curious to you and current students, you can imagine what it will be for prospective applicants.

if these stats are true, mit will need to improve its performance to attract international student, student will first think about paying off his debts rather than brand.

Back