• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

Ah I received the mail while sleeping... and when I got up it's already 7:30 pm ET...

At least an interview invitation couldn't possibly mean rejection. I am checking my mail like 100 times a day. Don't mind MSOR either.
May I know why you think so? I saw others turning down Columbia offer when they were redirected from MFE to MSOR. Is there, in your opinion, major difference in employment opportunities between the 2 programs? (I know syllabus-wise, MSOR can be designed to resemble much of MFE)

I think Columbia send out too many interviews this year, and it is highly possible that they combine the interview for MSOR and MFE. Anyone has the same feeling?

I think Columbia send out too many interviews this year, and it is highly possible that they combine the interview for MSOR and MFE. Anyone has the same feeling?

Yes, the interview double-checked with me, "you are applying for MFE right?"

But she didn't ask whether I would accept offer if I was offered MSOR instead.

Admin:Is there any possibility of some more emails/interview calls in the next week?

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I am very excited about it!
I just wanted to ask you when do you believe that we should be expecting to hear back from columbia? I had my interview on Friday and I know that the final decision will be released by the first week of March, but do you think that they might send out decisions earlier?

My understanding is that better profiles get earlier interviews and earlier admission decisions. Tracker from last year indicates that people got admitted just a couple days after interviews..
Claude_Shannon, would you mind sharing your profile? I haven't got anything yet...just wanted to evaluate my chances...

Would be better if she added her profile and timelines on our Tracker.
Agree. When I tried to dig some information from last year's tracker, it's frustrating to see that not many people shared their profiles (aka test scores, gpa etc)...Based on limited samples, I sensed a taste for higher standard test scores from Columbia...I mean, even verbal seemed to play its part...not a good news for me:(

We only make GPA/GRE/profile data a required field recently so we don't have those info from last year. I hope more people will be open to share their profiles. If privacy is a concern, just make your trackers private so the public can't associate it with username.
The full potential of our Tracker is only realized when everyone knows that they benefit by sharing.

Agree. When I tried to dig some information from last year's tracker, it's frustrating to see that not many people shared their profiles (aka test scores, gpa etc)...Based on limited samples, I sensed a taste for higher standard test scores from Columbia...I mean, even verbal seemed to play its part...not a good news for me:(
Well if people share their scores, what do you hope to find? If someone with higher scores post, you get more depressed. If someone with lower scores post, you feel happier about yourself but the new guy is now pissed off seeing your score and existing listings (presumably higher.) it also can backfire on admissions when someone go to them and say "hey, why you guys interviewed someone with lower test stats than mine instead of me?"

So don't get too stressed about the scores. Comparing them should be treated as nothing more than pasttime. People who actively post are usually 1) showing off, or 2) hoping for a miracle. The fact Is that competition for all graduation schools are tough, and students a running out of ways to distinguish themselves (that's why verbal scores start going up as well.) Normal distribution of the applicant pool dictates that for every class, there will be a few perfect scores+4.0+blue chip WE and then some dogtown school+poor gre+no WE with the MAJORITY of us lying somewhere in the middle. So most questions asked here are by individuals with one or two "shortcomings" who hope that his isn't as detrimental as his neighbor's, yet only a few people in the world can decide that and the rest are just noise and opinions for a feel-good moment.

All you can do is simply doing the best you can on your applications, going away for two month, and letting admissions do whatever they wanna do. It's really really not worth stressing out about given the element of randomness and lack of control you have toward the admissions process anyways.

Back