• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

6 months unemployed

So basically, I been applying for almost 200-250 jobs in the last 4-6 months for c++ and or software engineering jobs. Frankly, I only been able to get only 3-4 online assessments(before rejection) with one interview that ended up failing. This is honestly really depressing. I mean I even applied for some tutoring jobs that winded up in nowheresville. I have been busy with the advanced c++ course so I didnt much time to prepare for the full technical exams.

Last edited:
Have you tried asking for referrals from friends and family? I would even go onto messaging recruiters or engineers on LinkedIn. Not sure what they ask for C++ interviews but if it’s similar to traditional software engineering interviews, I would only do leetcode questions. Landing an interview and getting the job are two completely different task.

hackerrank is another useful resource.

And to hell with the 250 that said no. You only need one yes. Keep hammering, and keep networking.

If you need to get some kind of a job to make ends meet, I recommend security guard. Especially working nights, you will get paid to study.

Have you tried asking for referrals from friends and family? I would even go onto messaging recruiters or engineers on LinkedIn. Not sure what they ask for C++ interviews but if it’s similar to traditional software engineering interviews, I would only do leetcode questions. Landing an interview and getting the job are two completely different task.
Um basically, it doesnt really do much to land referrals.

Um basically, it doesnt really do much to land referrals.
It’s just a numbers game at the end of the day. I applied to maybe 500 or 600 jobs before my first full-time, which wasn’t even that great of a job.

Referrals are still infinitely better than just applying online for getting interviews. I don’t know the curriculum for the C++ course, but if it’s not directly helping you practice the leetcode questions you’re getting in interviews, I would deallocate time to leet code. You’re only postponing whats inevitable and, in my opinion, more urgent.

So basically, I been applying for almost 200-250 jobs in the last 4-6 months
Do you write cover letter for each position you seek, have one generic fit-them-all letter, or send no cover letter, just the resume? I tend to send either tailored letters to the position, or just the CV, I don't do the size-fit-all type of letter.

After a while practicing algorithms and data structures on leetcode can be tiring, I see where you are coming from, especially since concocting a solution can easily eat up all your day. I'd say after an hour of struggling with it, google the solution, study it and try to replicate it. Then go back to proper studying quant math, machine learning or whatever it is you are trying to get deep into.

Do you write cover letter for each position you seek, have one generic fit-them-all letter, or send no cover letter, just the resume? I tend to send either tailored letters to the position, or just the CV, I don't do the size-fit-all type of letter.

After a while practicing algorithms and data structures on leetcode can be tiring, I see where you are coming from, especially since concocting a solution can easily eat up all your day. I'd say after an hour of struggling with it, google the solution, study it and try to replicate it. Then go back to proper studying quant math, machine learning or whatever it is you are trying to get deep into.
I tend to set one size fit all because they are typically very similar in the job description.

It’s just a numbers game at the end of the day. I applied to maybe 500 or 600 jobs before my first full-time, which wasn’t even that great of a job.

Referrals are still infinitely better than just applying online for getting interviews. I don’t know the curriculum for the C++ course, but if it’s not directly helping you practice the leetcode questions you’re getting in interviews, I would deallocate time to leet code. You’re only postponing whats inevitable and, in my opinion, more urgent.
I took the c++ course because I need it for financial engineering school. I also took it because I wanted to learn C++ in depth and learn to use it for algorithms

I took the c++ course because I need it for financial engineering school. I also took it because I wanted to learn C++ in depth and learn to use it for algorithms
Even though it's a good thing to add depth to your C++ knowledge by completing the course, be reassured that there is little need of advanced knowledge of C++ in order to employ it for coding algorithms, a good grasp of the STL will suffice.

An advanced knowledge of C++ in my mind would be useful to create libraries needing complex OO relations between your classes (perhaps graphs algorithms may require this). Or to add low-level program control using the C subset of the language (bit manipulation is required in certain algorithms for faster versions of arithmetic operations).

If you’re trying to get a job before MFE school, you need to squeeze in leetcode somehow. I just looked at the advanced curriculum and most of it does not seem as helpful as Leetcode for landing a software engineer job. U can learn the necessary libraries in half a hour

Also keep mind if you get into MFE, you will have even less time to practice. it can take a while to get good at it, I’ve heard people practice for six months to several weeks.

As a final statement, to prevent diluting my and other peoples points, it’s understandable of your situation if you don’t have time or for various reasons. But remember that recruiters interviewers and firms do not care for any of that so leetcode leetcode leetcode leetcode leetcode and leetcode lol

If you’re trying to get a job before MFE school, you need to squeeze in leetcode somehow. I just looked at the advanced curriculum and most of it does not seem as helpful as Leetcode for landing a software engineer job. U can learn the necessary libraries in half a hour

Also keep mind if you get into MFE, you will have even less time to practice. it can take a while to get good at it, I’ve heard people practice for six months to several weeks.

As a final statement, to prevent diluting my and other peoples points, it’s understandable of your situation if you don’t have time or for various reasons. But remember that recruiters interviewers and firms do not care for any of that so leetcode leetcode leetcode leetcode leetcode and leetcode lol
Okay, so here is a problem, out of the 250 applications, I got maybe 5-8 responses back. Then only 1 interview and about 2-3 online assessments. I tried networking and knowing as many people as I can. But there does not seem to be opportunities that I can network with.

Okay, so here is a problem, out of the 250 applications, I got maybe 5-8 responses back. Then only 1 interview and about 2-3 online assessments. I tried networking and knowing as many people as I can. But there does not seem to be opportunities that I can network with.
Get a resume coach, find out key words to get your application through. Also take into account the job market and how if you don’t have a high gpa and don’t go to a good school you have very little room for error.

Get a resume coach, find out key words to get your application through. Also take into account the job market and how if you don’t have a high gpa and don’t go to a good school you have very little room for error.
1. I already had revised it twice by my career center coach and got it grammatically revised
2. Removed the stat skill bar, lowering to one page, use the first-person language.
3. List accomplishments instead of responsibilities. (If you cant list any then show the effectiveness of your responsibilities_
4. They suggested that I keep a universal resume.
5. My cover letter should be universal and be able to demonstrate skills that I have as a person in verbal writing. I should be able to demonstrate career goals in a general sense. This is why I don't have tailored cover letters.
6. I am not applying for quant positions, I am applying for SDE posistions

Last edited:
Last edited:
1. I already had revised it twice by my career center coach and got it grammatically revised
2. Removed the stat skill bar, lowering to one page, use the first-person language.
3. List accomplishments instead of responsibilities. (If you cant list any then show the effectiveness of your responsibilities_
4. They suggested that I keep a universal resume.
5. My cover letter should be universal and be able to demonstrate skills that I have as a person in verbal writing. I should be able to demonstrate career goals in a general sense. This is why I don't have tailored cover letters.
6. I am not applying for quant positions, I am applying for SDE posistions
The same applies for quant or swe if your resume isn’t up to par I would work on a project that would show how your spending your time and also just work through the hackerank.

The same applies for quant or swe if your resume isn’t up to par I would work on a project that would show how your spending your time and also just work through the hackerank.
yeah I am currently working on the original final project of c++ programming. Everything has to be made from scratch for the final project

Back