• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A basic question on installing C++ on MAC OS X

Hi guys - I am complete new to the C++ language and this question may sound stupid, but how do you run C++ on your MAC OS X? I read from syllabus that Microsoft Visual Express does the job - but I cannot use it on my MAC. I did a little research online and found so many different voices n the 'best' compiler ...... I wonder if I can leverage the resources here to get any advice on how to take the first baby step to install the program ?? Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers
Lizhi

If you want to run Visual Studio, you need to either install Windows (dual boot OS X / Windows) or download something like VirtualBox and install Windows in a virtual machine. Visual Studio is a great IDE.

There are also programs on OS X that work with C++ such as Xcode, Eclipse CDT, CLion, and many other free & open source tools.

If you want to run Visual Studio, you need to either install Windows (dual boot OS X / Windows) or download something like VirtualBox and install Windows in a virtual machine. Visual Studio is a great IDE.

There are also programs on OS X that work with C++ such as Xcode, Eclipse CDT, CLion, and many other free & open source tools.

Hi mhy,

I downloaded/installed VirtualBox on my MAC OS X according to instruction however when I attempt to run the panel returns 'FATAL - No bootable medium to run'. I looked up online forum and it seems that I need to install a CD/CD-ROM or something called ISO .... I went to check the 'Storage' section of my Guest Host and found 'No Disc' display - I have never encountered this problem before would you mind sharing how to install the CD/CD-ROM (or a virtual one if I do not have ...?) Thank you a lot!

Hi mhy,

I downloaded/installed VirtualBox on my MAC OS X according to instruction however when I attempt to run the panel returns 'FATAL - No bootable medium to run'. I looked up online forum and it seems that I need to install a CD/CD-ROM or something called ISO .... I went to check the 'Storage' section of my Guest Host and found 'No Disc' display - I have never encountered this problem before would you mind sharing how to install the CD/CD-ROM (or a virtual one if I do not have ...?) Thank you a lot!

A brand new VirtualBox instance will have no OS installed. You need a bootable Windows DVD/CD to install Windows on the virtual machine first. If you don't have one you may need to buy one or get one through your school (my school allowed students to download Windows 7 DVD ISOs for free).

Not directly an answer to your question but Visual Studio on Windows avoid all these issues.

Was about to ask a similar question...is VS absolutely necessary to finish the course? Most of my experience is in Xcode, some is in Eclipse. Neither is sufficient?

Was about to ask a similar question...is VS absolutely necessary to finish the course? Most of my experience is in Xcode, some is in Eclipse. Neither is sufficient?
It's certainly doable for this course, but may necessitate additional work, especially in levels 8&9. VS is recommended

Alright, good to know. Thanks for the input. I'm used to doing a bit of extra work to make stuff work in OS X, mostly just trying to avoid buying Windows. But might have to.

Alright, good to know. Thanks for the input. I'm used to doing a bit of extra work to make stuff work in OS X, mostly just trying to avoid buying Windows. But might have to.
Another option is a virtual machine.

Also, note that there is an Excel integration piece in Level 9. It's worth about 2/13 of your level 9 grade

Another option is a virtual machine.

Also, note that there is an Excel integration piece in Level 9. It's worth about 2/13 of your level 9 grade

Alright, good to know. Thanks so much for all the info.

I know this isn't quite the thread but seems pointless to clog up the form any more...I've got some basic experience in C++ already, and some experience with Python. Is that enough of a background to do well in this course? I'm assuming so, but figured I would ask.

I know this isn't quite the thread but seems pointless to clog up the form any more...I've got some basic experience in C++ already, and some experience with Python. Is that enough of a background to do well in this course? I'm assuming so, but figured I would ask.
Definitely. Many students have had no previous programming background at all.

You should be fine IMO.

Good point...I shouldn't probably be so cheap but I've been hit hard by a few big expenditures lately and am not in a hurry to spend money at the moment...but I suppose it's something that would be useful in the long run.

Back