• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A career in Finance after MS in Industrial Engineering in US.

Is this even possible in the US?I know of people who graduated from North Carolina state university(M.S industrial Engineering and are currently working in Finance related companies.
Would they have specialized in operations research for this??
What do Industrial Engineers actually do in such companies?

All I can say is this:

If you did an MSIE, and want to go into finance, no one is going to tell you exactly how to do that. On your resume and during your interview, you are going to have to sell yourself and your skills to an employer who will probably be asking "Why did you major in IE if you want to go into finance?" You should be focusing on what skills you learned in your MSIE, and how those skills can be transferable to finance. Thus, you need to demonstrate your own understanding of both your field and how it relates to finance. If you can't even convince yourself that it is related, and you can't see the connections in the guide, then there is no way you will be able to convince an employer that you are a proper fit for finance.

First, figure out where your MSIE skills are used in finance, then find a way to articulate it, then you can fix your resume, polish your interview, then apply to the jobs that are relevant to these skills. If you can't figure out how to do that on your own, then you don't belong in finance.

I am a bit late to this thread, but I am applying to a few M.S IE programs. My cousin is a VP at regional bank in the Midwest and began his career in credit risk management at Wells Fargo. His team included quant grads and IE grads. I was lucky enough to be able to network with the them. They said IE translates well as the good programs place a heavy focus on analytics, stochastics, and optimization. I am using my electives and focus credits for finance focused quantitative courses.

Back