• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A certain percent don't even stand a chance ?

I'm posting this thread as a response to continuous discussion of acceptance rates for MFE programs. I'm probably not the only one to think this, but don't you all agree that a certain number of applicants that apply to FE/Finance programs don't even stand a chance in the first place? For example, you could have 700 applicants apply to NYU, but you're bound to know that about 250 - 300 applicants aren't even close to expectations for admission. Thus, if we examine the "real" pool of applicants, with 25 - 35 students being admitted, the "actual acceptance rate" should be higher. As the profession grows in popularity, so do "non-sense applications."

I agree, but you also have to remember that these top programs scare away a lot of otherwise qualified candidates. Typical application costs are $250 of more so unless you are a decent candidate I cannot see too many 2.5 GPA/560 GMAT applicants applying just for fun. If 700 people apply I would imagine most are near the class profile that is usually posted online.

Plus, adcoms have to over accept people because of students going somewhere else. If I worked in admissions I would be pretty afraid of the amazing applicants. You could give all of them admissions and have only a fraction accept since an amazing applicant is undoubtedly applying to other top programs.

Once again,I agree that only a few are really competitive, but I don't think there are that many junk applications.

Back