A Day in the Life of a Managing Director Market Risk

ChrisFromGreece

I hope you understand (Ken) that I didn't mean to be rude or offensive. I was positively surprised as I thought an MD would work crazy hours like 7am to 10pm...

Ken Abbott

Managing Director
I hope you understand (Ken) that I didn't mean to be rude or offensive. I was positively surprised as I thought an MD would work crazy hours like 7am to 10pm...
No offense taken. I've done 7:30 AM - 6:30 PM for years. It's not unusual. Not that I haven't seen 9:00 PM or 10:00PM a few times - I have. I'm also on-call, 27/7. I've put a few weekend hours in and responded to late-night issues as well from home.

ChrisFromGreece

How is the productivity during this (long) day?
Not that great to be honest.

The past month I have been working every single day from 8am till 1am, with almost 6 hours of sleep every day... totally knackered. Finally we released the product yesterday...

I know that productivity falls sometimes exponentially, however, even if within 3 hours you got work done worth of 30 mins (when you are rested and under normal productivity), you have already saved these 30 mins from next day...

I guess it works a bit like that... I guess at some point we were doing crazy hours to get this thing delivered without thinking about productivity, error proneness, etc not great I can promise!

I certainly don't enjoy long hours... I can tell you that!