• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A particular step in the existence proof of the conditional expectation of a sq integrable rv

Hey guys,

One of the standard results in elementary stochastic calculus is that, if [imath]X[/imath] is a random variable, and [imath]Y[/imath] is any square integrable random variable, then the conditional expectation [imath]\mathbb{E}[Y|X][/imath] exists and is unique. I am struggling to understand a particular step (inequality) in the first part of the proof, where the author proves that [imath]W=g(X)[/imath] and [imath](Y-Y^{\star})[/imath] are orthogonal. I have posted this as a question on MSE here.

I have tried searching the proof online, but the approach in my text appears a bit different. I would really benefit from any suggestions/clues with it.

Cheers,
Quasar

Hey, I was struggling to understand a particular step in the existence proof; it's all clear now. I posted it as an answer to my question on MSE! Thanks.

Back