• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

a question regarding interview.

A few day ago a head hunter called me and requested an interview for Goldman Sachs. They are looking for a portfolio analyst.
Actually I even don't remember of applying for this job. I have applied for some positions but I don't think for this one.
In the requirements has been outlined that they are looking for a person who is:
1- exceptional developers (C/C++, Java, etc.), with strong quantitative skills
2-demonstrated experience with optimization and algorithms. 3-Experience with distributed computing systems (Cloud or Grid computing) on a large scale is also required.
3- Candidates should be familiar with a recent relational database system (such as Sybase IQ, DB2) and tradeoffs between performance and space utilization.
What is clear by my resume is that I dont have any experience with distributed computing systems and recent relational database system (such as Sybase IQ, DB2) and still they have asked me an interview.
And now the problem is that I falter to attend the interview. Actually I don't want to attend an interview that I don't have the requirements (As I mentioned before I have not applied for this job directly). The problem is that if the likelihood of being reject is high it is more rational that I don't attend the interview (i don't want to damage my reputation). I am sending this question to ask if my decision is a right decision? It would be my first interview and do you think if I attend the interview I will be rejected since I don't have the second and third requirements.
Thank you in advance for your answer

Generally it is difficult to get a person with all the skills you mentioned. So, even if you don't know anything about sybase or cloud computing you can be hired. you can learn these things in a week.

Think of the list of job requirements as a wish list, and not an absolute minimum set of requirements for the job. Sometimes a job requisition statement will specify the the difference between the minimum requirements and the nice-to-haves, but not always. After interviewing all the available candidates, you may be the best, even though you do not have every listed skill.

I do not think that you should worry about your reputation as long as you are scrupulously honest about your skill set and abilities.

I wouldn't worry for one second about learning a relational database. It's just a bunch of more permanent data structures, with relational keys, indicies, permissions etc. it's not rocket science.

All right. It seems I must attend the interview. Thank you all for your responses and for sharing this informative information

Back