• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A recent engineering graduate looking for advice

I'm an electrical engineering graduate from NUS (Singapore) with minor in physics, my CAP is 4.18/5. I took couple of math couses but not much: 1 linear algebra, 1 calculus, 1 engineering math course (mostly statistics and probability), and a signal processing all with As.

For my physics minor, I had about 8 courses, including engineering physics, 1 classical mechanics, and 3 quantum mechanics courses and all with As also. I also have a C++ programing course with A-.
My GRE is Verbal:440, Quant 800.

I have zero experience in finance but want to give a chance in MFE program in NUS. Are these physics courses my advantage? because I know that they prefer quant with Ph.D in Physics.

What could I do to improve my chance?

Make your best application and apply. That is the best way to gauge your chances. Obviously take the advice to do what you can to enhance your app before it is sent; however, I see so many people ask if their profile is good enough on here, and let a bunch of people on the internet decide, rather than go to the source: the admissions committee. Just sayin.

Your profile looks fine and you could probably give it a try.

I would like to know if you did your research on the program, such as course structure, modules that will be taught, the ability of the lecturers, placement statistics etc. I'm asking this because I wanted to know why NUS and not the other schools (NTU, Chicago local program or even the overseas school). Have you weighed the pros and cons of the various programs to arrive at that choice?

Additionally, are you a recent graduate? If so, you'll have to wait for six months to apply as admission for 2011 won't open until end of the year. Meanwhile, there are a number of things you could do to boost your profile. Get some working experience; some thing quantitative in the financial services would be good. If not possible, at least something quantitative. Get in touch with professors that will write you glowing recommendations. You can also start preparing your personal statement. Lastly, you could sign up for the CFA exams, although, in my opinion, it won't be very useful at work if you're keen on doing quant work in Singapore.

Just remember, securing an admission isn't about how good you are, it's about how much better you are. Just put on the cap of the admission officer and it won't be hard to see what would improve your chances.

Back