• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rutgers MQF About Chance of Finding Jobs

Hello,
Until now, I have just been admitted by Rutgers MQF. Maybe I will not get any success information of other applications. So I am curious about the chance of finding a job after finishing Rutgers MQF. I want to be a trader or risk manager. Could anyone please tell me how much the possibility of finding a job in NY in three months after graduation? To be honest, I do not completely believe in the 96% probability of rankings.

Here is what I think, in order for you to nail that job you want, look at the skills traders or risk managers have, then look at the curriculum at the program ur admitted into, you would know for sure if that program would help you get the skills needed or it'll be waste of time and money! I mean the school's network and rep play a big role in helpin you finding a job, but what's on ur resume matter too, and if ur resume is lacking, then it's on u, good luck

I've worked with two MQF grads who got risk jobs at my firm (buy side) after successful internships.

For what it's worth, I know someone with just RU undergrad who managed to get into rotational associate quant modeling role in a bank, and a former high school classmate who became a trader with just RU undergrad. Also, one RU math Ph.D. and one RU MS in EE are in modeling roles at banks.

Small and admittedly biased sample (they all got jobs), but maybe gives a limited amount of color if you haven't really been around the school.

I would assume the big companies are efficient enough to use finer signals than just school. It's the small buy side firms that only hire a handful from the Ivies each year

Back