• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

about Edinburgh/Heriot Watt MSc Financial Mathematics programme

I got an offer of this programme for the year 2015/2016.

Can anyone give me some advice on this programme? Is it a good programme in UK? Is the employment high for graduate of this programme? How do you think about the course content of this programme?

Thank you guys so much!!!

Here is a list of their available courses for the year 2015/2016: (refer to Edinburgh University website)

COMPULSORY COURSES
9 compulsory course(s).

CodeCourse NamePeriodCredits
MATH11056 Derivatives Markets Semester 1 7.5
MATH11153 Discrete-Time Finance Semester 1 10
MATH11065 Financial Markets Semester 1 15
MATH11058 Special Topics 1 Semester 1 7.5
MATH11154 Stochastic Analysis in Finance Semester 1 20
MATH11130 Credit Risk Modelling Semester 2 15
MATH11057 Derivative Pricing and Financial Modelling Semester 2 15
MATH11059 Special Topics 2 Semester 2 7.5
MATH11013 Dissertation (Fin. Math.) Block 5 (Sem 2) and beyond 60

COURSE OPTIONS
2 set(s) of course options with the following rules.

Overarching rule collection group: A
Select a minimum of 22.5 credits and a maximum of 35 credits from these collections:

Select a minimum of 0 credits and maximum of 15 credits from the following list of courses, during Semester 1
CodeCourse NameCredits
MATH11070 Statistical Methods 15
MATH11129 Statistical Inference 7.5

Notes:SEMESTER 1 courses - please confirm delivery period using the course links
AND

Select a minimum of 0 credits and maximum of 35 credits from the following list of courses, during Semester 2
CodeCourse NameCredits
MATH11062 Time Series Analysis 7.5
MATH11064 Financial Econometrics 7.5
MATH11068 Numerical Techniques of Partial Differential Equations 7.5
MATH11149 Portfolio Theory 15
MATH11158 Optimization Methods in Finance 10
MATH10015 Simulation 10

Hello woshilichi. My name's Boy. I now receive offers from both Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt MSc in Fin. Maths and Imperial College London MSc Maths&Finance (Semester 2015-16, same as yours.) I contemplated for a couple of weeks about the decision. Imperial seems to be the better place as everyone told me, somehow, I select to study in Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt Program. The main reason is that I want to both succeed in my study and my happy life. The atmosphere at Edinburgh will surely support my peaceful life style. On the other hand, because I graduated from the university in Bangkok, so I am very bored with crowd of people (like that in London.) Moreover, the program at Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt isn't bad. This course combine the strength of pure Math of Edinburgh with an expertise in industry and actuary of Heriot-Watt.

If you are interested, please reply me. I will be grateful to talk with you.

Looking forward to seeing you at Edinburgh.

Hello woshilichi. My name's Boy. I now receive offers from both Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt MSc in Fin. Maths and Imperial College London MSc Maths&Finance (Semester 2015-16, same as yours.) I contemplated for a couple of weeks about the decision. Imperial seems to be the better place as everyone told me, somehow, I select to study in Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt Program. The main reason is that I want to both succeed in my study and my happy life. The atmosphere at Edinburgh will surely support my peaceful life style. On the other hand, because I graduated from the university in Bangkok, so I am very bored with crowd of people (like that in London.) Moreover, the program at Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt isn't bad. This course combine the strength of pure Math of Edinburgh with an expertise in industry and actuary of Heriot-Watt.

If you are interested, please reply me. I will be grateful to talk with you.

Looking forward to seeing you at Edinburgh.

Hello, Boy. Thank you very much for your reply. You can call me Chi. I have already decided to go to this programme. Although if I were you, I would choose the IC one as well, I am still very happy to study together with you in a few months. I also applied for some IC ones but got rejection for the one within their maths department, the same as the one you got offer, and got an offer from another one within their Business School, Msc Risk manegement & Financial Engineering. And apparenly, the one in their B-school is even worse than our Edinburgh/HW one.

And I am very happy to talk with you as well but I am so sorry for this late response since I did't check Quantnet these weeks

Back