• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Accounting or Computer Information Systems??

Hi,

I know this forum is for MFE only but I need your opinion.

I have a BBA in Finance. I worked for a year and am planning to go back to graduate school in the Fall of 2009. I have thought of graduate program either in Accounting(MS) or MS in Computer Information System at Baruch. Which major is better to pursue and why?Long term career path in either of these discipline...or possibility of being outsourced..

Thanks in advance.

I have thought of graduate program either in Accounting(MS) or MS in Computer Information System

Isn't that a bit like trying to compare apples and oranges? Regardless though, why not pursue something you truly enjoy? There is little to be gained from just to grad school just for the sake of going to grad school.

Thanks for your quick reply Mr.Patel..but I was talking about the choice in terms of long term future potential in either field. I know its like comparing Apples and Oranges..for sure..but I dont need to hear a criticism but rather a suggestion..:). I am laid off so I am thinking to pursue a graduate degree..rather then job hunting which I did for a month and no luck..

Just my opinion but since you already have a BBA in Finance, why the need for an MS in Accounting? I pretty much consider those two degrees almost similar in skill set and I believe the business world does too, unless you are targeting working for a big 4 accounting firm which of course would help to have the MS in Accounting.

But since you probably already took around 2 accounting courses in college to get your finance degree, take 6 more accounting classes through a community college (a lot of them offer the online option and you can easily take up to 6 classes in a year if you're determined even while working full-time), and then sit for the CPA exam.

CPA is equivalent if not better to the MS Accounting degree and will take you less time through the route I mentioned.

In regular corporate finance/accounting, tech skills are highly valued nowadays so I would think your BS finance degree combined with the Info Systems MS would take you far. You might be able to work on financial system implementation/testing/etc and it's obvious these systems guys who work in the finance end get paid almost twice the rate of a regular financial analyst.

By the way, I'm in the same situation as you, BS in finance, and I will use the CPA route combined with an MBA as a plan B to the MFE if I don't get into the right program. Good luck

Thanks Samiam for your great suggestions..So after completing the required number of Accounting classes, I can sit for CPA exam, but that is before August 2009..After that will need 150 credit hours..Any decent online community college that you know of , that offers Accounting courses..let me know..
Thanks,

What do you mean after August 2009 you will need 150 credit hours? Have they changed the requirements to sit for the CPA exam? I think the 150 credit hours refers to all of the credits you need to take the test (basically an undergraduate business degree) of which a certain portion will have to be from accounting. I could be wrong (it might be 4) but I think a 1 semester class counts for 6 credit hours. So if you took a normal course load of 4 classes per semester for 4 years thats 32 classes * 6 credit hours = 192 credit hours. I doubt that is 150 hours of accounting classes since that would make it 25 classes and I don't think schools even have 25 accounting classes available.

But I'm not sure of what the future regulations will be. For a guy majoring in business (finance in mine and your case), I verified in the beginning of 2007 that you need to have 8 accounting courses under your belt along with the business degree.

If you do pass the four parts of the CPA exam, then you need to have 3 years of work experience in accounting or work under a current CPA to be officially licensed. However, I do know that firms consider passing the exam as equivalent to being officially licensed. Just passing is enough is what I'm saying.

After being licensed, you also need to take a certain amount of continuing education in the form of seminars I believe to maintain your license. This is why many accounting professionals just pass the test, get the license, but then forgo maintaining the license and just indicate that they have passed the CPA exam.

As for the community colleges, since you are in NYC I would try to go for a local college there since it will make it easier for you to pick up the books.

Here in LA, virtually all of the community colleges offer an online option although not all of the classes are given online. However, some colleges like Los Angeles City College offer the online option for its accounting curriculum every semester.

The community college is the economical way to go as a class costs only 60 dollars (here in CA) and the greatest expense you will have is the book.

Please let me know what you have found out about the regulations changes. The AICPA site is confusing and it's often best to just call into a service rep and ask her directly what the rules are.

Hi Samiam,

Well I meant a total of 150 credits including all the liberal arts requirements ..I took 2 accounting classes and I will another 6 more classes that comes out to be around 23 credits..Yeah..I ll rather take the remaining classes at a community college and then get my masters in Information systems. Thanks a lot for your inputs..

Back