• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Actuarial Science versus MathFin

lalugu

actuarial piggie
Hi all,

I am a master of actuarial studies student in sydney (UNSW). 6 month ago I made a decision to study actuarial science instead of a GradDip in Maths for Finance. Partly because I was scared of the credit crisis and feel safer to land a job in insurance&risk mgmt.

Now I wish to go back to math for few reasons, I want to have sufficient math background equivalent to a BA. Second finance(IB) was my last master and I really miss it, especially the mathematical componant. Lots of actuarial techniques I've seen nth more than playing around with those tedious elementary super hard math tricks which I doubt any non-actuarial practitioner can use it. The most frustrating thing is that I don't understand why they made very simple thing super hard. What is the point? However, when I see that job ranking, actuary is the 2nd best job in america......so Im not sure whether I will regret if I quit actuarial science for mathfin now.:-k

Welcome any opinion. Lots of thanks in advance!:)

A confusing new actuarial student

Back