• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Actuarial studies or computer science

To be fair, survival analysis is actually not completely useless :P

In the world of electronic trading, you often don't know the price of the distribution unless you are deal or tie (with the best offer). The way it works is that you only have censored data. So the technique in survival analysis actually helps you kinda best fit a price distribution which optimize your hit rate.

But again, I can probably learn the same thing in a statistic degree.

In my opinion, a degree's subject can be flexible as long as it is completely quantitative driven. You can always get the skills later.

Here is my most valuable advice:

1. if you are from a heavy math major degree, do a lot of leetcode (when i mean a lot I mean A LOT)
2. if you are from a heavy CS major, make sure you have knowledge of probability, statistics, linear algebra and calculus. To be fair, you most likely get this in your 1-2nd year mandatory courses (except probability)
3. get a MFE degree
the math major in my college was purely pen and paper and the CS major was all stuff like compiler design, database, and web development. ended up switching over to math. had to learn everything coding-related on my own SMH

the math major in my college was purely pen and paper and the CS major was all stuff like compiler design, database, and web development. ended up switching over to math. had to learn everything coding-related on my own SMH
Ah that sux. I went to UWaterloo, my courses were very math intensive. All math & CS students take the same courses for the 1st three semisters.

Back