• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

actuary thinking about MFE

I am from Trinidad and have been working as an actuary for 4 years now. I should have my ASA(Associate of Society of Actuaries) by December. A combination of factors has lead me to want to pursue MFE

1) I have been doing actuarial valuation work in an Insurance company for the last 3 years and I hate it. but it is difficult for me to get another job seeing as i am on a H1B visa
2)I recently got married to a USC and hope to have my green card (or at minimum EAD by December). but the point is, I will be eligible to work anywhere soon
3)Actuaries do investment type work, infact there is an investment track to get your FSA(fellow of society of actuaries). When I look at the curriculum of MFE programs(and even the text books used) it is heavily overlaps with the theoretical investment actuaries are supposed to know(and are tested on)
4) I have always loved programming, VBA,C++, C# ( i did a minor in computer science just to get exposure to programming) AND I have always loved problem solving
5)I am studying for the investment track in Actuarial Science and I love the material

So my questions (assuming I have already answered for myself that I want to be a quant and pursue and MFE) is
a) Since I live in NYC, is there really any difference between Baruch and Columbia. Of course Columbia has the name, but is it an advantage in terms of getting a job.
b) While every case is different, etc etc, what's more or less necessary to get admission into these programs. I know they are competitive

Any advice would be very very helpful

Thanks

Back