• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Admission in US MFE Program at the age of 35+

Dear Members,

I am pursuing strong qualification in Finance sector. Currently, I am B.Sc. Maths & Stats, and also MBA Finance with 3.8 CGPA from my home country. I have 10 years of professional experience in Finance department and currently working as Financial Analyst in Middle East. I am 35 years old (probably age is the main point that is compelling me to take your noble advises).

Well, it is my childhood dream to study in US but couldn't fulfill due to financial constraints. In addition to this, I experienced that even Tier 2 or Tier 3 University degrees worth more than third world country's top ranked University degrees.

To fulfill my dreams, I relocated to Middle East region to save ample amount that can help me to take admission in US schools. Now, I am preparing for GMAT test and will score maximum in range of 640 - 660 (based on my mock results) :(

I wants to apply for MFE or MSCF because I am good in Maths and finance, and also I likes computer/IT tech world. So I feels it is better to use my strengths to take edge over non maths/weak IT skills finance professionals. I simply want to learn more and more, regardless of doing decisions merely on ROI basis.

Here are my worries,

Am I too old to take admission in MFE or MSCF program?
Will I get admission in Tier 1 or Tier 2 US schools with 650 GMAT score?
Will I get job in relevant area after completion of degree?
Is Carneige Melon's ONLINE MSCF program is worthy to apply...I can bear cost because I won't have opportunity cost of leaving job.
Or I simply do Master in Finance with CFA certification and keep going on same path.

I am thankful for reading my post. Please share your experience and what will fit best for me. Thank you.

Regards,

people can be quants at any age. In US some banks will hire older quants with phds having being in academia. if you are 45+ it is difficult. 35+ is still possible if you have prior experience

Hi Saleem,
I'm from middle east like you but 36 years, so I understand how you feel. Forget the age cause I'm quite sure it has no relation to what you can do in the next years. What it's important is your real skills and the ability to achieve your dreams.
I'm an engineer and a math teacher, no experience at all in finance. I'm planing since about two years to get MFE in a wonderful graduate school so I'm saving money to this idea and read a lot about it.
So I'll tell you what I got and I'm almost ready to do it the next weeks:
I liked the idea to get online certificate from Columbia University
http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/
They offer courses, certificates and masters. The cost will be less then if you go to the states and you are still at home having your job.
then after one or two years you can go to US having phd as a part time and invest the degree you got from CVN ang get a part time job.
by this way you got higher education and saved some of the cost.
For me I wish to be a very good professor in a high qualified university.
About the top ranking, just read about it, but as a matter of fact do give it so much weight. Cause when you review the members' background, you can see how it differs from one to one. What i'm looking for in a school perhaps isn't what you need.
So think again but think different this time.
Good luck.

besides forget GMAT. Focus on GRE general and a math subject test if it's required as an additional score.

Back