• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

advantages of applying early?

is there any advantages of submitting an early application? i dont really see the appeal of it.

i mean one could argue the opposite, applying late gives you more time to study for gre and prepare and whatnot. but applying early?

It depends on the programs that you want to apply to.
For those with a target size and several rounds like UCB, ULCA, it's advantageous to apply early. Applicants in later rounds will compete for an unknown smaller available seats.

For programs with no fixed size and one deadline, it also depends on how they do admission; is it rolling admission or all after the deadline.

If the program is reviewing all applications after the deadline (NYU), as long as you meet the deadline, your chance is as good as the first applicant.

The best time to apply is when your application ready, not before or after.

Like I said, apply when you application is ready, not before or after. If your application is top, you will get admitted regardless of when you apply.
Hey Andy,

Can I open an application online and keep it open until it's complete for submission ?
The thing is that I don't have my SoP ready ( I want to spend some time writing), however, I don't want to keep my professors waiting for submitting LoR until I start applying.
Do you think it's a good thing to do ?

I want to be done with everything by end of November.

Thanks.

Roni,

All the online apps will allow you to keep it open until you are ready. LoRs can come in any time after you open the app. They are primarily submitted via online form anyways.

The official line is they will only consider your app once it's complete. It really should not matter, it is such minutiae.

Cheers,

Roni,

All the online apps will allow you to keep it open until you are ready. LoRs can come in any time after you open the app. They are primarily submitted via online form anyways.

The official line is they will only consider your app once it's complete. It really should not matter, it is such minutiae.

Cheers,
I see...
thanks for you help, Yike Lu.

Back