• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice about Retaking a Class

I am planning to apply to a handful of top MFE schools this year as well as two MFin schools (Princeton and MIT, either of which is where I truly would like to be next year). I feel pretty confident about my grades. I am a Mech Eng student at Georgia Tech with a 4.0, I transferred from Georgia Southern University with a 3.74, having a 4.0 average after my first year. I have only gotten 4 grades were not A's and all of them in my first year about 4 years ago (I have about a year of work experience in the mix too).

My concern: While my math/major grades have all been A's, I have a C in my Intro Macro-Econ class. Should I retake the class next semester to show that I can get an A in it or just let that be in the past and worry about more important things? The course is not hard, I was just immature then and had the misconception that my grades wouldn't matter there once I transferred. I am just worried about the class since it is Econ and I feel that would think that these schools would find that important.

The big picture is that the Macro-Econ class doesn't add much value to your career choice. A C in Calculus I would be a big red flag.
Now some people on the admission committee would look at the C grade and give you a pass. Some will look at this blemish and think that a top student should handle himself well no matter boring or irrelevant the subject. You have no control over what people think. It's a 50/50 chance.

If you retake the course, the C is still there and the new A you may get retaking the same course might be overlooked.

Conclusion: move on, save time and money studying something more useful. Take a programming class, a math class. A yoga class would be swell.

Life is short, study something interesting. 10 years from now, you wish you would have taken other courses instead. Nobody will care about the grade anymore.

Back