• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice for a FO developer

Hi all,

I am reading the comments on the forum for a while but just became a member in order to ask for suggestions.
I am working as a Front office developer in JP London office and have been reviewing my career seriously since I feel stuck in my position and believe I should do something more to be on more quantitative side. In total, I have 7 years of work experience in investment banks where I mostly worked on building trading platforms and giving support for daily pricing and risk issues. I have Bsc. Computer Science from a local university in my country(ranked within Top 500 and nothing more) but have no graduate degree.

What I want to ask is do you guys think how quitting my job and getting a master degree from one of the top Financial Engineering programs in US might affect my career. Would it mean starting from scratch to be on quant side or in contrast my experiences would still be an asset ? My career goal is being a quant developer preferably in a hedge fund but my primary motivation is to have a good education in my area of interest.
I am also wondering what is my potential chance for getting accepted by one either Berkeley or Columbia given my 3.30/4.00 BSc. degree and 7+ years of work experience in trading floor roles in Tier1 investment banks.

Any comment/suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

sorry but unless you're one of the top smartest kids at one of the top 5 schools, you're not gonna do better than where you are now

Your experience would not go to waste, especially since most "quant" jobs are actually programming jobs nowadays. Look into quant programs in London as well

Hi all,

I am reading the comments on the forum for a while but just became a member in order to ask for suggestions.
I am working as a Front office developer in JP London office and have been reviewing my career seriously since I feel stuck in my position and believe I should do something more to be on more quantitative side. In total, I have 7 years of work experience in investment banks where I mostly worked on building trading platforms and giving support for daily pricing and risk issues. I have Bsc. Computer Science from a local university in my country(ranked within Top 500 and nothing more) but have no graduate degree.

What I want to ask is do you guys think how quitting my job and getting a master degree from one of the top Financial Engineering programs in US might affect my career. Would it mean starting from scratch to be on quant side or in contrast my experiences would still be an asset ? My career goal is being a quant developer preferably in a hedge fund but my primary motivation is to have a good education in my area of interest.
I am also wondering what is my potential chance for getting accepted by one either Berkeley or Columbia given my 3.30/4.00 BSc. degree and 7+ years of work experience in trading floor roles in Tier1 investment banks.

Any comment/suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I'm in similar scene, have worked as FO developer for 7 years and next 3 years as jr quant developer.
As I really wanted to make my career in quant development, joining MQF this fall.

Back