• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on Career/School Choice

Where should i go

• Boston University

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rutgers

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • UCLA

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • UBS

Votes: 24 85.7%

• Total voters
Hi Everyone,

I am a graduating senior from a non-target state university, double majoring in Finance and Math. I have a very strong finance background. Pretty good at math, but have limited exposure to programming right now(Plan on taking C++ in summer). I have always wanted to be a trader, and would love to open a hedge fund in future.

I am currently admitted to BU, Rutgers and UCLA, and have a potential job offer from UBS New York for a sales&trading position. I have to make a decision by mid May.

I am not sure if which school I should go to or take the job if I could become a trader right away. A big reason I want to purse a master of financial engineering/ mathematical finance is to study finance by mathematical reasoning, potentially becoming a quant trader.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

It's obvious for me. Take the job! A lot of students from BU Rutgers and UCLA would love to get a trading position at UBS in New York.

Take the UBS job if you can. If you do get it, save some money up so if you want to (or get made unemployed and thus have time on your hands) take a MFE etc. in future you have funds!

Hi Everyone,

I am a graduating senior from a non-target state university, double majoring in Finance and Math. I have a very strong finance background. Pretty good at math, but have limited exposure to programming right now(Plan on taking C++ in summer). I have always wanted to be a trader, and would love to open a hedge fund in future.

I am currently admitted to BU, Rutgers and UCLA, and have a potential job offer from UBS New York for a sales&trading position. I have to make a decision by mid May.

I am not sure if which school I should go to or take the job if I could become a trader right away. A big reason I want to purse a master of financial engineering/ mathematical finance is to study finance by mathematical reasoning, potentially becoming a quant trader.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

I'm no expert on Quant optimal career routes but if this job is a pretty good job with potential, I would take it.
Nothing beats experience + you can always go back to school afterwards.

Getting a job and actually seeing the industry will help you know better what you prefer to do later.

Good luck,
Ohad.

You don't have an offer in hand yet, correct?

I do not have an offer right now, but I think the chance of getting that offer is pretty high.
However if I do not get the offer, I am leaning toward going to UCLA at this moment

Thank you all for your comments,

I am not really pursuing a mfe degree for jobs. It is really to satisfy my own quest for quantitative knowledge.
I feel as I grow old, my learning ability is going to diminish.That is one of the reasons I want to go to school while I am still young.

However even if I get the job and take it, I would want to enroll in one of the programs in new york and take 1 course per semester.

Go for the job if you can. Is UCLA cheaper for you?
UCLA is the most expensive out the three since I have a scholarship from Boston. However I like UCLA the most purely for its faculty members.

Thank you all for your comments,

I am not really pursuing a mfe degree for jobs. It is really to satisfy my own quest for quantitative knowledge.
I feel as I grow old, my learning ability is going to diminish.That is one of the reasons I want to go to school while I am still young.

However even if I get the job and take it, I would want to enroll in one of the programs in new york and take 1 course per semester.

Assuming the job offered is in the field you're interested in than you'll learn allot in your job and you'll learn the most relevant issues.
Also, you can always learn on yourself or take 1-2 courses while not being in the program , get some credits and maybe later on use them for some degree (although I'm not an expert on the technicalities of doing this in the US).

Back