• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on online computer science degree

Hi, everyone. Hope you all safe and well. Need some advice on online computer science degree.

Quick facts about me:
  • In my early 30s
  • B.S and M.S degree in the bio-medical field, yes, the basic flaw is I HAVE NO background in CS
  • English as a Second Language
  • Working in the IT field for 8 years, main role as a product manager
  • Consider Machine Learning (AI) engineer as my future lifelong career
  • Planning on immigrating to Canada, much easier to secure a job as a computer engineer than a product manager, esp for a foreigner

I'm aware a master's degree of CS is not a guarantee for a job, but still a valuable asset and proof. So I've done a little research and here are my options:
  1. MCIT Online program offered by the University of Pennsylvania. Pros: Ivy League; tailored for non-Computer Science majors. Cons: it's Not a Master of Science degree, but a Master of Computer and Information Technology degree, which sounds a little weird to me
  2. MCS degree program from Arizona State University. It's a MCS, require some prerequisite knowledge, especially mathematics, which I lack of. But, they offer a MCS Pathway Program, if I completed three courses with a final score of least 80 to demonstrate my foundational understanding of computer science, I will also be considered meeting their requirements
  3. Get a one-year diploma on computer science or applied mathematics to meet broader requirements of other options and then enroll to a better MCS degree program such as OMS CS of Georgia Tech

I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some advice on this.

Last edited:
if you're set on canada, i would look into canadian schools like waterloo and Utoronto. They might have good placement for jobs you're looking for. 3 is the best bang for the buck in terms of just an education standpoint. I wouldn't even consider 2.

edit: It's rumored that Georgia Tech OMCS accepts a lot of students, even with minimal background. I have a friend who took only a few programming courses, online certificates, and got in. I think you can do the same. The program is diffcult and expects you to catch up on all the math/programming on your own.

Last edited:
I would first just do a program to get started like quantnet c++ and see if you capable and interested in doing a degree. People have gotten jobs by doing the advanced c++ degree here so I would give it a try if programming is what your after

if you're set on canada, i would look into canadian schools like waterloo and Utoronto. They might have good placement for jobs you're looking for. 3 is the best bang for the buck in terms of just an education standpoint. I wouldn't even consider 2.

edit: It's rumored that Georgia Tech OMCS accepts a lot of students, even with minimal background. I have a friend who took only a few programming courses, online certificates, and got in. I think you can do the same. The program is diffcult and expects you to catch up on all the math/programming on your own.
I'm kinda low on budget, on-campus school in Canda is pricey and I have to do it without a paying job, that's a lot of pressure
Mind explain why you wouldn't even consider 2? after all, AUS is ranking like top-40 in cs
Thanks a lot on the tip of Georgia Tech. I'll definitely try.

Last edited:
Back