• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice regarding MFE

Hi,
I am currently majoring in economics at a good university in Canada. I want to be a quant in the future, so I'm thinking of transferring to a combined major in Economics and Mathematics. This will allow me to take more math courses than I currently have the flexibility to take. But I'm wondering whether I would still be a decent candidate for MFE programs if I stayed in Economics and did a few math courses (Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability, Stochastic Processes)?

Hi,
I am currently majoring in economics at a good university in Canada. I want to be a quant in the future, so I'm thinking of transferring to a combined major in Economics and Mathematics. This will allow me to take more math courses than I currently have the flexibility to take. But I'm wondering whether I would still be a decent candidate for MFE programs if I stayed in Economics and did a few math courses (Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability, Stochastic Processes)?
I’m a finance major who did it/am doing it the second way in which I just took math classes on the side. If I may ask what grade are you in? I decided I wanted to go down this path not too long ago so I didn’t have the ability to switch or add majors as I am a senior. I’ve also been admitted to two programs so far so it is possible to get into to a MFE without being a stem major as long as you take the appropriate courses.

I'm a second year. I am also wondering what the best preparation for MFE would be. I feel like I'd benefit a lot more from taking math and statistics courses which means my optimal path would be switching major. Let me know y'all.

I'm a second year. I am also wondering what the best preparation for MFE would be. I feel like I'd benefit a lot more from taking math and statistics courses which means my optimal path would be switching major. Let me know y'all.
I'd switch, go math and take math stat (inference) and a Markov chains course as electives, as well as numerical mathematics courses for the rest.

Back