• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF advices needed for FE/FM programs

hi folks, i got ad to the following 3 programs in NYC.

CMU: MSCF
Columbia: MSFE
NYU: MSMF

I have an electrical engineering master's degree and i believe my math and programming skills are alright. but have very little experience in finance and never worked in the industry. have taken some economics/finance courses at a local university and taking my CFA level 1 in june.

which program do you suggest?

many thanks!

# About Columbia I can tell you there are several competing programs and you would face stiff competetion.There is a thread named Second Tier or Worse MFE programs where this is discussed in detail.

# If money is not a problem for you then go to CMU.The reason is that CMU MSCF is being hosted in business school and have great career services.

# You can also compare the cost of NYU v/s CMU if cost of program is a factor.The plus point of NYU is that its programme has small batch strength.

so the OR and FM programs at Columbia are actually competing in the same pool as the FE students? that would add up to about 150 students, wow! i also read the placement office at columbia hasn't been the best. maybe I should put them behind CMU and NYU... anyone knows the placement stats for their last class?

now that left me with CMU and NYU. apparently both claim close to 100% placement, although on in business school and one in math department. NYU seems to have more undergrad joining their program while CMU has a more diverse student body. going through their resume books, NYU students seem to come from bigger name undergraduate programs, so competition could be stiffer. also smaller program size means smaller alum base. do you think that'll make a difference when it comes to internships? what you think about the focus shift to the buy side at NYU in this economy?

guess placement is the ultimate factor here.

You need to do some research regarding the profile of each program. Even though all are in financial mathematics/engineering, there are significant differences. Next, you need to evaluate which of the program profiles fits best.
The first place is to start talking to some current students and alumns from CMU and NYU.

Back