• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

advise for application

I've just got my revised gre score verbal:152 56% and Quantitative :161 86%
TOEFL Reading :25 Listening: 30 Speaking :19 Writing :27

seeking for orientation of choosing grad school, though I prefer UCLA and USC

Your Q score is not competitive. Unless you just want to get into any program, you are better off retaking it, score 170 and try to get into the top programs.
That said, 170 isn't much of an indication of any applicant's quality.
What draws you to USC and UCLA? Are you based on the west coast?

86 percentile is comparable to 760-780 Q, while not great it's not really bad either if the rest of his profile is good.

760 is an instant no from any MFE program... unless something else extraordinary is on the application (like your name is Mark Zuckerberg).
And your answer is based on... ?

I think your GRE should be fine for UCLA. The impression that I got last year was that it's not a top program, don't know if it's changed since and don't know if the impression was any accurate. Just make sure you have other strong points or retake the GRE if you can.

760 is an instant no from any MFE program... unless something else extraordinary is on the application (like your name is Mark Zuckerberg).

yes, this is indeed mistaken. it's obviously tougher with a 760, but a 760 does not shut one out from programs entirely.

ps background is listed as following, please give me some advise for choosing grad school

edu: B.S. in information and technology (cs and ee combined) Macau S.A.R.
GPA: overall 3.47/4 major: 3.73/4
publication: 1 for IEEE PEITS conference as first author
1 for Chinese core journal as second author

Internship in a venture investment company for 6 months

Awards: top 3 in major

please give me some advise for choosing grad school

figure out what it is you want to study.
figure out whether or not you're qualified and capable. if not qualified, take additional courses or do what you need to do. if not capable, do not pass go and do not collect $200.
figure out what schools offer the program you're interested in and what schools would be a good fit for you.
apply to said schools.
see which schools accept you.
make a logical and informed decision about which, if any, school to attend.

figure out what it is you want to study.
figure out whether or not you're qualified and capable. if not qualified, take additional courses or do what you need to do. if not capable, do not pass go and do not collect $200.
figure out what schools offer the program you're interested in and what schools would be a good fit for you.
apply to said schools.
see which schools accept you.
make a logical and informed decision about which, if any, school to attend.
thank u so much

Your Q score is not competitive. Unless you just want to get into any program, you are better off retaking it, score 170 and try to get into the top programs.
That said, 170 isn't much of an indication of any applicant's quality.
What draws you to USC and UCLA? Are you based on the west coast?
Hi Andy, I'm gonna retake gre in Feb. 18, would it be late and based my current score, is there any school you recommend??

I don't believe you should rush into any any program this year. With a stronger score and profile, you will have a better chance at better program next year after you earn some experience.
MFE programs are going to be around next year and you want to be as selective as possible.
BTW I'm now an analyst in local venture capital company. and thank you for your suggestion

Back