• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Age mid-to-late 30s too late to start career in financial engineering?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is maybe a stupid question, I know in a perfect world :) one can start a new career at any age but I would really like to query everyone in the forum what they experience in practice in their careers and companies and to receive candid responses. Is it not so uncommon to start a Masters in Computational Finance/Financial Engineering in your mid-to-late 30s?

I am 35 years old with a BEng in Chemical Engineering from a good school and have been working in academia and industry for over 10 years doing research/analysis/software development in the field of bioinformatics and computational biology. There are many parallels to computational finance/financial engineering, I use many of the same tools and approaches, e.g. statistics, linear models, genetic programming, stochastic methods, etc., requiring high-level competencies in programming and software development, C, C++, Perl, Python, R, MATLAB, etc. to analyze/acquire knowledge from large datasets of multivariate data. I have always been extremely interested in financial engineering and would like to make a career change by applying to a Masters program. Would I be too old and at a distinct disadvantage to start such a career in the industry after finishing?

thank you,
Leandro

Back