• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Age to pursue MFE

What is the average age to pursue MFE? Is above thirty considered too old?

What is the average age to pursue MFE? Is above thirty considered too ld?

I certainly hope not. If so, I missed the memo
wink.png

I certainly hope not. If so, I missed the memo ;)

:) thanks. I just hope with a long non-finance career, just a masters in financial engineering would help get interviews at 32 years of age. I was looking at doing an MBA which is too broad. MFE sounded like I could use my computer skills I learnt on the job.

I think it depends on your previous background. If you are not coming from mathematics, or CS, or engineering, MFE is a little bit too difficult for you. Of course you can do it, by working harder than other young kids, who are in their good condition, physically and intellectually.

I started my MFE at 30 but I have to admit it was a tough experience mentally and physically. Those with family and kids will find it extremely taxing.

Thank you guys, very encouraging replies. Is there a difference between part time and full time study. Would part-time in NYU or part-time in CMU be less taxing than full-time. Appreciate your opinion in advance.

I know really well the people who do part-time at Baruch MFE and have some knowledge of people doing so at CMU and NYU. Many of these people underestimate the level of time you need to spend on the homework and studying. Many people who quit the program half way are PT students.
You take half the course load as FT students but you still need to spend several hours per week for one course. And I mean really several hours of quality time, not just glance of the note before the class. You have to meet with your teammates weekly to work on homework during weekend.
It's a personal adjustment but don't let the part-time label fool you.

Got it, howz work after the course at a firm? Does one have to work crazy hours too? Or there is no general answer.

Does anyone know what is the average age at Columbia MSOR?

22-26 I think.(not sure) Not too important. Many people hold PhDs even before going to masters so age is not of big concern unless you have some personal reasons.

Back