• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

already working in quant as undergrad, what's the smart move?

Hello,

I am currently a 2nd year CS/Physics student. In my first year, I started working for a private bank(not a worldwide player though, but very successful and any recruiter at goldman, deutsche bank etc.. would know it). After 3 month of coding a performance analysis tool, I got moved to quantitative development/algo trading. They offered me a student job until I finish my degree and already told me they would hire me the second I graduate.
The quantitative research department also wants to, well, "try me out", so I will be working there for a while as well this year.
The issue at hand is, that a Bachelor's degree would not still my thirst for more indepth knowledge. so I will definitiely do a MSc in CS. However, I find my self wondering if I would need a phd to work for at the top level banks/private equity funds etc. if I already have significant work experience.

What's my smart next move to get into top tier quant development? Would I technically even need the MSc?
Am I correct in guessing that as a quant developer, experience and skill are more important than academia, where as as a quant analyst phd level math background is a must have?

Back