• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Alternative UK Quant Programs

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for cheaper UK masters programs that could be used to enter the quant industry, since the top finmath/fineng in the UK are £25-35k.

I have added below potential programs below in the £10-15k range with quant related electives and invite anyone with who has taken these or anyone who could evaluate the programs and whether they are good alternatives.

My background: Predicted 1st class MEng Mech Eng from a Russel Group. Interested in quant trading or research.

Hoping this would be beneficial to others aswell with the same idea. Thanks.

LSE Applicable Maths Msc (15k)
Imperial Applied Math Msc (11k)
UCL Statistics Msc (12.5k)
Imperial Statistics Msc (£16k)

What is your list of the top UK programs? I'm curious to see if we cover all of them or there is any new program we are not aware of.
Im by no means an expert, however the ones I would be interested in if I could fund them:
Oxford Mathematical and Computational Finance Msc (£35k)
LSE Financial Maths Msc (£30k)
Imperial Mathematics and Finance Msc (£35k)
UCL Computational Finance Msc (£25k)
UCL Financial Mathematics Msc (£28.5k)

I would like to add that I was surprised to find UCL doesn't have an entry on the application tracker.

Also, quantsam, have you considered Warwick? It is generally placed in the top 5 programmes, but around 1/3 of the cohort receives significant scholarships (up to 50%).

Edit: also, if you've got great grades, Cambridge's Part III is definitely a target course.

I would like to add that I was surprised to find UCL doesn't have an entry on the application tracker.

Also, quantsam, have you considered Warwick? It is generally placed in the top 5 programmes, but around 1/3 of the cohort receives significant scholarships (up to 50%).

Edit: also, if you've got great grades, Cambridge's Part III is definitely a target course.
Thanks for the input. I've considered warwick but the finmath program is still £35k and for that cost i would rather london for the networking etc. Also considering Cambridge applied math. I havent been able to find the course list to see if there are any finance or programming applied courses, but might be worth an application.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I've considered warwick but the finmath program is still £35k and for that cost i would rather london for the networking etc. Also considering Cambridge applied math. Looks extremely demanding and i havent been able to find al course list to see if there are any finance or programming applied courses, but might be worth an application.
The advice I've read is along the lines of 'only consider Cambridge's course if you have a real passion for mathematics', although it's not specifically aimed at quants, the reputation it has for its difficulty is probably worth something. A link to current lectures offered is here.

I would add that if you're seriously considering it, you probably would be eligible for a Warwick scholarship based on academic merit; I received a scholarship coming from only a mid-tier Russel with good (first class) but not outstanding grades (I don't think I'd stand a chance at Cambridge).

The advice I've read is along the lines of 'only consider Cambridge's course if you have a real passion for mathematics', although it's not specifically aimed at quants, the reputation it has for its difficulty is probably worth something. A link to current lectures offered is here.

I would add that if you're seriously considering it, you probably would be eligible for a Warwick scholarship based on academic merit; I received a scholarship coming from only a mid-tier Russel with good (first class) but not outstanding grades (I don't think I'd stand a chance at Cambridge).
Interesting, I wonder if Cambridge would still be as desirable as more quant programs without any finance or programming since its so strong in math. Dont know if i would be strong enough to be admitted.

Is the scholarship for the full amount? Bit of a distance from london but with significant funding I would definitely consider.

Interesting, I wonder if Cambridge would still be as desirable as more quant programs without any finance or programming since its so strong in math. Dont know if i would be strong enough to be admitted.

Is the scholarship for the full amount? Bit of a distance from london but with significant funding I would definitely consider.
There's a variety of scholarships so you may need to enquire, although I think normally it's up to 50% off. Also, of course, living fees are much lower than London, although you do miss out on the benefits of being in the city, like you said.

Could anyone share their thoughts on LSE Applicable Maths or Imperial Applied Maths as to whether they are viable options as a quant program?

Back