• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Am I good enough for top QF/MFE Programs?

Hello everyone,

Would appreciate some advice from people currently enrolled in MFE or other QF programs on this. If you recently graduated your advice would be appreciated as well. I want to break into quant trading, quant portfolio management, regular sales and trading, or quant risk management.

My background:
-Applied Math & Statistics (quant finance concentration) and Econ double major at a top public university in the USA for Applied Mathematics (going into junior year)​
-President of my university's Investment Club​
-Current GPA: 3.69 but I am aiming to have it in the mid-to-upper 3.7s by the time I apply to graduate MFE programs since my most difficult classes are behind me. Ideally I could have a 3.82 max when I graduate but that could be wishful thinking.​
-Relevant Experience: Teaching Assistant for Intermediate Macroeconomics, Summer PE intern, Summer intern at a regional Federal Reserve bank, aiming to get a quant or other finance internship next summer (not guaranteed though since they're competitive)​
-Programming Languages/Technical Skills: Python, C++, Java, R, MATLAB, Excel, Bloomberg Terminal​
-Coursework: Calc I-IV, Statistics, Calculus-based Probability Theory, Linear Algebra, Numerical Linear Algebra, Principles of Comp Sci (Python), Discrete Math, Data Analysis, Time Series Analysis, Lin Regression Analysis, Financial Mathematics, Quant Finance, Game Theory, Data Mining, Scientific Programming in C++, Fundamentals of Computing (Python, MATLAB, C++), Principles of Finance, Corporate Finance, Investment Analysis, Financial Analysis w Excel, Financial Management, Object-Oriented Programming (Java), Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics, Data Science & ML in Econ, Money & Banking​
-I got mostly B+s in the hard math classes I've taken so far but anticipate As and A-s in future ones based on prior grading distributions. I get all As in my econ classes.​

Is my profile good enough to be competitive for Top MFE programs like Baruch, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Princeton, CMU, etc? My safety schools that I definitely know I would get into are Boston University, Stony Brook University, and Fordham. Their programs are good, but not target school material for applying to quant jobs at banks and hedge funds. I would also consider a Master's in Statistics, Applied Math, or Computer Science but I think it's best to keep my master's relevant to Quantitative Finance and Financial Engineering.

Please let me know if there's anything missing anything in my profile that would give me an upper edge to compensate for only having a ~3.7ish GPA

Thank you for taking the time to read this and provide advice!

-Mike

Last edited:
I think you're more than good. Make sure to work on the relationship with every individual you think will write you a letter of recommendation, and keep up the cgpa at this level or higher!

I've already mentioned this on other posts, but do you know what you want to get into specifically after the masters? I'd say each masters will be a feeder into different types of roles. Feel free to DM me and we can have a quick zoom call. (I am entering CMU MSCF with a scholarship as of right now myself).

I think you're more than good. Make sure to work on the relationship with every individual you think will write you a letter of recommendation, and keep up the cgpa at this level or higher!

I've already mentioned this on other posts, but do you know what you want to get into specifically after the masters? I'd say each masters will be a feeder into different types of roles. Feel free to DM me and we can have a quick zoom call. (I am entering CMU MSCF with a scholarship as of right now myself).
I appreciate your input/feedback. Would love to have a quick zoom call, thank you so much.

After my master's, I want to work for a few years in the industry in any of the roles I mentioned in the first paragraph. I could change my mind though and go for my PhD in Applied Math or Stats.

Quantnet told me that you limit people who view your profile when I tried DMing you. Please DM me if you can. Thank you.

Back