• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Amazon’s $23,698,655.93 book about flies

Yike Lu

Finder of biased coins.
http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

As I amusedly watched the price rise every day, I learned that Amazon retailers are increasingly using algorithmic pricing (something Amazon itself does on a large scale), with a number of companies offering pricing algorithms/services to retailers.
My preferred explanation for bordeebook’s pricing is that they do not actually possess the book. Rather, they noticed that someone else listed a copy for sale, and so they put it up as well – relying on their better feedback record to attract buyers. But, of course, if someone actually orders the book, they have to get it – so they have to set their price significantly higher – say 1.27059 times higher – than the price they’d have to pay to get the book elsewhere.

Amazon arb...

I was hoping 1.27059 would be the golden ratio, but it's not :(

e56262605a4d95fefb0b421850d267bd.png

also close,
1 + (1 / e) = 1.36787944

How many days did it take to reach this level (approx.)? Let's say recalculation occurred once a day for each algorithm (no holidays) and starting point is somewhere around the stated $106.23.

I get 47 days, with starting price of $100.99 (starting April 13th)

Back