• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Another MFE after an MFE?

Currently I am choosing programs, and learnt from Quantnet that the placement of some programs is quite doubtful. I understand that a transfer between the MFE programs is rare, but what is the chance of going to a tier 1 program after finishing a tier 2 MFE? I visualize the application process and find it to be a little bit weird to say that "though I have already had an MFE, I am attracted to your program for you placement". Do things like this happen often?

i heard that there was a case where a student from SUNY Buffalo MFE went to UCB after completion. I think UCB can be you best bet because of the guidance provided by their director. Also do CFA to be competitive

this is a bizarre question. an mfe is meant to be a terminal degree.

while another school might let you in (although i highly doubt it, as i believe i read somewhere once that, at least with a BA, once you have one, that's it), recruiters/employers will wonder what you're doing with your life.

it is not worth going to a school with subpar employment statistics.

I think UCB can be you best bet because of the guidance provided by their director. Also do CFA to be competitive
I remember this point was brought up in that flame war in the ranking thread. If it's true, I wholeheartedly applaud UCB and their director for providing this extra service to their applicants.

I took CFA level 1, and it definitely helped me understand the broader field of finance more and also helped my finance intuition.

I have seen students trying to transfer out of a program after one semester or one year but I haven't heard of anyone got accepted into another MFE program after obtaining MFE from somewhere else. It's not clear if the fact that the applicant mentioned in post #2 already got an MFE is made clear when he/she applies again.

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/profile-evaluation-please.7551/#post-70467

This is the thread where TraderJoe mentions it. Last comment

They were an MS Finance student with a concentration in FE, not quite the same as an MFE. Take a look at the coursework required. Doing an MFE after an MS finance isn't really overkill. Doing an MFE after an MFE is.

They were an MS Finance student with a concentration in FE, not quite the same as an MFE. Take a look at the coursework required. Doing an MFE after an MS finance isn't really overkill. Doing an MFE after an MFE is.

thats the way they define their MFE as it is offered by the business school

Back