• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

any comments on the wolrdquant.org program

Hi All,

Have you heard about this free MSC quant program at

WorldQuant University » Course Descriptions

its a free program. Please can you comments on

1. the repute and industry awareness? I know it can compete with the brandname costing 100k$ but is it still know to industry?
2. how is the repute?
3. I noticed the curriculum is not derivatives/calculus focused. Any comments on the program curriculum. Can it be supplemented with taking some financial maths courses/books elsewhere?

My background" cfa, mba. working in the valuations team of a US investment banks (in finance department, middle office). doing model review, pricing review etc. 10 years work experience and want to mve to more front office roles like risk management or research , analytics etc.

thanks a lot for your help!

3) I had a look at curricula, it is rather practically-oriented.
"derivatives/calculus" is an undegraduate topic, knowledge of which is implied :)
What you meant is likely risk-neutral world / pricing of derivatives.
Yes, you can learn it by yourself (e.g. using Shreve's books). But it this is the stuff, which is hard, but not anymore so hot.

>10 years work experience and want to mve to more front office roles
If you have 10 years work experience then
a) a completion of this (or any other) study program will likely be a minor factor
b) after 10 years it is really hard to change the career domain
(even if you are ready to start as Junior in FO, they won't likely consider you).
But if your will and wish is strong, nothing is impossible :)

I understand that changing domains will be tough now
I am 35 and I still think I can't spend rest of my life doing something I am not very happy about
So I am trying to see my options
Additional constraint is the family and kids I gave to support

Second MBA : expensive $ and difficult to get into top programs , not too sure of they will help
MFE: full time : $ , family support ?
MFE: distance learning : seems safer and less costly
Hence I am looking at the options and came across this

At this stage , can I just write off my will to be able to move into research , risk management etc ?

I have tried interval transfers and nothing has worked

This seems like a good pre-MFE program.

I had no idea that it existed before viewing this thread.

>I have tried interval transfers and nothing has worked
Yes, it is not easy because a company wants to engage you where you suits (from their point of view), not where you want to be engaged.

My situation is similar to yours (with a difference that I am quite happy with my current job but I also want more).

What I just want to tell you: do not expect a career jump if you complete this WorldQuant program.
I, for one, did much more, wrote some papers and tutorials on quantitative finance
(SSRN Author Page for Vasily Nekrasov :: SSRN), published a book
("Knowledge rather than Hope" by Vasily Nekrasov) but I would not say it was very helpful for career (though it definitely didn't hurt).

Now I am trying to do more applied things, inter alia building my track record as a portfolio manager: Somewhat better than DUCKS
Still I am not pursuing a position of a trader or PM, since I am too long on IT and Risk side.
But becoming Head of Risk would quite suite me. And a head of risk with a good track record will have much more respect by trading/FO.

So my message is: probably, you have potential within your current domain and if yes, try to grow there, it will be much more realistic.

Back