• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

anybody know NYU-Poly's program..?

http://www.poly.edu/sites/polyproto.poly.edu/files/To Students Re NYU and NYU-Poly 20120416.pdf

MEMO
Subject: Mathematics in Finance at NYU-Courant and Financial Engineering at NYU-Poly

Hello,
Several of you have voiced concerns about employers’ ability to distinguish between the Mathematics in Finance Masters program at NYU-Courant and the Masters degree in Financial Engineering at NYU-Poly.
To address these concerns, please let us provide you with some background and address two specific questions in the NYU-Poly policy (how NYU-Poly students should refer to themselves, and availability of placement services). At the end of this e-mail, you will find our recommendations for you in order to make the most out of your degree.
<snip>
Are NYU-Poly students also NYU students?
In the FAQ section on the NYU-Poly site (see, http://www.poly.edu/about/affiliation/FAQ) the answer to this question is:
“Polytechnic Institute of NYU (Poly) is affiliated with NYU (vs. being fully consolidated as a school).
During the affiliation period, you are a student of NYU-Poly. After the consolidation, students will be NYU students.”
This means technically speaking that until the schools are fully consolidated, Poly students cannot refer to themselves as “NYU students.” However, it is fully reasonable that students refer to themselves as “NYU-Poly students.” This is consistent with the policy at the Wasserman Center where students from NYU-Poly are asked to list the school on their resume as “NYU-Poly” or “Polytechnic Institute of NYU.”

Are placement services at the Wasserman Center available to NYU-Poly students?
Yes, they are, see http://www.nyu.edu/careerdevelopment/about.php

So how can you distinguish yourself from similarly named programs (such as NYU-Poly's Financial Engineering program, or the Mathematics Department's regular MS in Mathematics program)?
We ask you to consider the following recommendations when preparing your resume or biographical information for other purposes:
  • Include “NYU-Courant” or “Courant Institute, New York University” (not just “New York University”) if you have graduated from the Courant program. Include “NYU-Poly” or “Polytechnic Institute of NYU” (not just “New York University”) if you graduated from the department of Finance and Risk Engineering at NYU-Poly.
  • Include the full name “MS in Mathematics in Finance” if you graduated from NYU-Courant. Include “MSc degree in Financial Engineering” if you graduated from NYU-Poly. Both of these degrees are broadly recognized in the financial industry.
  • Consider including additional details of particular courses you took (particularly advanced ones which are rarely taken by students in other programs).
Finally, we ask you to report to us should you come across students from any other schools or programs that misuse our school or degrees. This way we can deal with such infringements in a direct and effective way with their respective schools.

Regards,
Petter Kolm
Director, Mathematics in Finance Masters program
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences

Charles S. Tapiero
Topfer Chair Professor
Department Head, NYU-POLY

When will the school be fully consolidated? When NYU Poly consolidates, does that mean NYU-Poly will be considered as equal as NYU-Courant students? Can NYU Poly students take classes at Courant?

When will the school be fully consolidated? When NYU Poly consolidates, does that mean NYU-Poly will be considered as equal as NYU-Courant students? Can NYU Poly students take classes at Courant?
Poly students are allowed to take at most 3 courses(9 credits) now at NYU, including Courant and Stern(except for MBA courses)

I will be attending Poly myself and we as Poly students need to focus more on achieving what we can at poly instead of solely relying on poly being consolidated into NYU. What good does a consolidation do if I were to walk out with a 2.5 gpa having taken 9 credits (or 90 for that matter :p ) at courant or stern. Poly is not and can never be a shortcut into Courant. The sooner we get this fact straight the better.

I will probably go to Poly MFE too. I totally agree with you on the point about NYU and Poly. Seems like NYC, Poly and NYU all provide us with a lot of useful resources. But I'm still a little worried about how we could stand out from other top schools students like NYU, columbia and baruch etc. ? Just pay attention to the fact that most of the students in MFE program are from China and India, and it may become more difficult for an international student to land a job in NYC... And some said Poly enrolled many students who are not that good and competitive...

In my opinion, it would be very difficult to stand out but I personally think that the best of every program no matter how bad the career services it may have, do manage to secure internships and jobs. Whats more amazing is that so far no one from Poly (including current students) has given any idea of placement numbers, even if they are terribly bad. Looks like once enrolled they forget about us poor souls here at QN. Lets hope Andy can arrange more reviews for us.

Whats more amazing is that so far no one from Poly (including current students) has given any idea of placement numbers, even if they are terribly bad. Looks like once enrolled they forget about us poor souls here at QN. Lets hope Andy can arrange more reviews for us.
I'm sure we can count on your to provide constant feedback and write a review for us when you start there, Oxer.

I strongly believe students/alum will only benefit from providing a review, specially for lesser known or not well-represented/regarded programs.
There is a lack of info and there are many unsubstantiated rumors which only hurt the programs and career prospect of their graduates.

At the same time, I need to find better ways to incentivize them into writing a review.

I will be meeting representative from nyu poly tomoro in Bangalore, India. please post here if you have specific questions. I will try my best to get it answered from them..

1: Anything on placement numbers as I mentioned before (internships/jobs).
2: Can anything be done about the 1.5 credit hours assigned to courses like stochastic calculus? Half credits for important courses really hamper learning.
3: a recent size of the program, we have heard 350- can that be confirmed?
4: proportion of internationals?
5: class profile?

Most of these items are usually present on any good programs website, in the case of Poly all of this is missing.

do anyone know it's better chance to change MS Financial Engineering after admitted by MS Mathematics?:(

I wouldn't count on the possibility of changing major later on as a sole reason to start with an unrelated program. Chance is you may have to reapply again. I don't know anyone who has successfully "transferred" into MFE program.
This is something you want to get a written policy from the program before you make your move.
what you mean a write policy?

I wouldn't count on the possibility of changing major later on as a sole reason to start with an unrelated program. Chance is you may have to reapply again. I don't know anyone who has successfully "transferred" into MFE program.
This is something you want to get a written policy from the program before you make your move.
Actually I heard about that program changing policy in his reception from J.C. the director of graduate admission?

Back