• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

API programming with UIUC MSFE (Practical workshop)

At UIUC MSFE, currently we provide student to access to trading platform and have a chance to program our own strategies through API either VB or C#

I guess this is very practical. Any other school have this chance? I would like to share our experience with other students too

At UIUC MSFE, currently we provide student to access to trading platform and have a chance to program our own strategies through API either VB or C#

I guess this is very practical. Any other school have this chance? I would like to share our experience with other students too

Out of curiosity, why not C++?

What "trading platform" do you guys use?

I second, what platform do you guys use?

Also, which broker do you use? I know IB offers Trading Lab "paper" account for students for two semesters.

Unfortunately, we do not have such opportunity at my U, but I am sure I can ask one of my professors to sign up an account for me at IB.

Because it's not about speed - you still can't handle a tick-level data here and don't realy need it - but ease of implementation and testability.

Thanks. I thought C++ would be still used due to its wide usage in every field. For developing purposes C# and VB are simple for sure and less time consuming.

I'm not sure what the commodities trading class does for paper trading accounts. We compete internationally in the Rotman International Trading competition (we got 3rd place this year), and for that we use their platform. For our algorithmic trading class we use whatever software we want - the point is to design several strategies at various time intervals (i.e. daily, intraday minute bars etc.) and backtest them.

Back