• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Application Advice

Kindly review my profile.

-Indian male, 2 years of full-time work ex in core finance (Fintech firm).
-3 year Bachelors (BBA), 9.7/10 CGPA.
-2 internships (1 tech-based role, 1 management trainee role).
-Programming experience and known languages- Python, Java, C++, and R
-Data tools like PowerBI, Qlik,

I have applied to 10 colleges but am uncertain if that's sufficient. Honest reviews from everyone would be highly appreciated.
Programs interested- MFIN/MFM/MSFE programs in the USA.

Would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Cheers!

Additionally,

Coursework project- International Market Simulation using data analytics (Won multiple accolades for this)

Have you covered calculus 1,2,3, calculus based probability, linear algebra, ODEs, PDEs etc? Thats what the application team will be looking for on your profile since you did a BBA.

10 is a lot, you will easily get many offers but the question is, will it be worth going to a lower ranked program

10 is a lot, you will easily get many offers but the question is, will it be worth going to a lower ranked program
Yeah, I get that, but did a lot of those applications for free so haven't spent much tbh. Also, in your opinion, which are the best programs within my reach?

Yeah, I get that, but did a lot of those applications for free so haven't spent much tbh. Also, in your opinion, which are the best programs within my reach?
I'm no expert but since you asked my opinion, engineering math i.e. differential equations, probability, statistics and linear algebra are quite important for most MFEs, and since you have done BBA, you might not have these on your transcript, and I think that will be a major reason for rejections. Maybe you should try applying to programs that put less focus on quantitative side of things, might as well try for an MBA specializing in Finance.

I'm no expert but since you asked my opinion, engineering math i.e. differential equations, probability, statistics and linear algebra are quite important for most MFEs, and since you have done BBA, you might not have these on your transcript, and I think that will be a major reason for rejections. Maybe you should try applying to programs that put less focus on quantitative side of things, might as well try for an MBA specializing in Finance.
Yeah that's reasonable but to add:
1. I have almost 2 years of work ex in a quant role.

But, I agree with the point that none of it is gonna show on my transcripts, so my primary focus in MFIN or MSF programs. I haven't applied to any MFE program to date. Would be helpful if you could suggest good universities for those programs.

Yeah that's reasonable but to add:
1. I have almost 2 years of work ex in a quant role.

But, I agree with the point that none of it is gonna show on my transcripts, so my primary focus in MFIN or MSF programs. I haven't applied to any MFE program to date. Would be helpful if you could suggest good universities for those programs.
No specific suggestions for universities, but in general I would say the courses offered by respective business schools of universities should be less MFE like, e.g. MIT's M.Fin is offered by Sloan School of Management, UC Berkeley is offered by Haas School of Business, etc. In Europe, Oxford & Imperial are MFE like, but the ones from LSE and LBS maybe better for, idk about employment outcomes for them though.

No specific suggestions for universities, but in general I would say the courses offered by respective business schools of universities should be less MFE like, e.g. MIT's M.Fin is offered by Sloan School of Management, UC Berkeley is offered by Haas School of Business, etc. In Europe, Oxford & Imperial are MFE like, but the ones from LSE and LBS maybe better for, idk about employment outcomes for them though.
Only looking for the US so guess I'll see where it takes me, btw Thanks for your time

Back