• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Application Criteria

Hi,

Prerequisite Courses section for Baruch MFE is asking for an undergratuate class in Finance or related work experience. I am planning to shoot my application for Baruch MFE for this Fall and I don't have any experience in Finance or related undergratuate coursework. How do I overcome this problem in my application?

If you sign up for the Level 1 CFA right now and say that you're studying Finance for the June exam and Baruch does conditional admissions, they may admit you on the condition that you pass the CFA.

Getting into a financial engineering program without a little financial background or experience is a bit of a hail mary. If you get rejected, don't feel bad- just focus on taking a few finance courses at a school that has a lightweight application process for non-degree students and trying again. You'll probably get in next year.

Prerequisite Courses section for Baruch MFE is asking for an undergratuate class in Finance or related work experience. I am planning to shoot my application for Baruch MFE for this Fall and I don't have any experience in Finance or related undergratuate coursework. How do I overcome this problem in my application?

Explain what finance you studied - including self-reading. If there is nothing formal such a course or work experience on your resume, you should expect questions about financial instruments if an interview is conducted.

Explain what finance you studied - including self-reading.

Hello. I also have the same problem with the lack of finance education but heavy on math/statistics. Im thinking about studying on my own in this area. Is there a particular text that you can recommend? Thanks

Basic finance ? Or more derivatives oriented ? You should check out the Master Reading List that Andy has prepared. Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

For derivatives, there is Hull's Book - Options, Futures and Other Derivatives.

More specifically... I am interested in meeting the general finance background requirement for the Baruch MFE prerequisite through self study. A book in finance that covers a broad area of topics with moderate details would prolly suit me. I was able to find a few on amazon, but I was wondering if there were any specific titles that are exceptionally good as primers.

More specifically... I am interested in meeting the general finance background requirement for the Baruch MFE prerequisite through self study. A book in finance that covers a broad area of topics with moderate details would prolly suit me. I was able to find a few on amazon, but I was wondering if there were any specific titles that are exceptionally good as primers.

For the MFE, the most important readings will be on derivatives, swaps, futures, etc.

But, it would also be a good idea to read about general finance aka, the broad environment where FE takes place.

I'm reading Paul Wilmott introduces Quantitative Finance, which I think is good for starters. You can buy it on wilmott's site. Hull's book on derivatives is really well known and is a reference, so I think it would be a good option to read that too.

Thanks for the replies. I think I found what I was looking for.

Back