• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

applied math ms for quant roles

I am an undergrad in math and stats with not too much coding experience or quant work experience
I am going to start my MS applied math degree in fall 2021
Is my degree a disadvantage for quant roles?
I do not know what kind of quant role i want to be in.. can anyone suggest which courses i should focus on during my degree?

Everyone, feel free to disagree with me, but I feel like there's a simple answer: You're going to Columbia for the MS in Applied Math right? Why not model your classes as closely to the Financial Engineering program as possible?

Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't know much more, since I am still a student and not an industry practioner.

Everyone, feel free to disagree with me, but I feel like there's a simple answer: You're going to Columbia for the MS in Applied Math right? Why not model your classes as closely to the Financial Engineering program as possible?

Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't know much more, since I am still a student and not an industry practioner.
We arent permitted to take most of the FE courses

The core courses look solid regarding PDEs and numerical methods. I'm not sure how many of these courses would have a programming component.
I would try to compensate by taking as many CS electives as possible. Analysis of algorithms would be a must. In the industrial engineering section, strongly consider Intro to probability and statistics and stochastic processes.
I don't have access to any of the other electives but I would try to maximize programming/probability and statistics for quant work

Thank you for your reply.

There is an intro to numerical methods programming course. No programming for Pdes as your rightly mentioned.
I have already done stats as an undergrad student as it was my minor so I dont think I need to take intro to prob and stats.
I will surely take your advice and study stochastic processes and analysis of algos.

This is the list of all the CS courses
And this is the list of Industrial eng/OR courses

Thank you for your reply.

There is an intro to numerical methods programming course. No programming for Pdes as your rightly mentioned.
I have already done stats as an undergrad student as it was my minor so I dont think I need to take intro to prob and stats.
I will surely take your advice and study stochastic processes and analysis of algos.

This is the list of all the CS courses
And this is the list of Industrial eng/OR courses
Yeah, I used the same list as my reference. But there are other department electives you can take as well, which are not provided on the website.
The Intro to Financial Engineering course is a good option as well. It combines what you've learnt and has a programming component from the looks of it.

We arent permitted to take most of the FE courses
Hence the reason why I said model it as closely as possible. Suppose there's a Machine Learning module for the MSFE. But if you can't take it there, maybe take it from the Comp Sci dept. Something to that effect.

Hence the reason why I said model it as closely as possible. Suppose there's a Machine Learning module for the MSFE. But if you can't take it there, maybe take it from the Comp Sci dept. Something to that effect.
Yup that makes sense.. thanks a ton

Back