• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Applied Mathematics or Mathematics for MFE program? GRE Math subject test?

I am an honors student at SUNY Bufallo. I will graduate in May 2011. I am currently a double degree student. I will get a Honors BS degree in Comp Science with NSF Certification in Data Intensive Computing and a Honors BA in Math. I am thinking of applying to class of Fall 2012 for best MFE programs. I will be completing both BS and BA this semester, but i have an option of converting my BA in Math to BA in Computing and Applied Math if i put in an extra semester. The question was as to whether i should put in extra semester to get the special BA or concentrate on preparing for my GRE general test, GRE Subject Math test and essays next semester. I just have next semester to prepare on my application as i am busy in summer and the semester after, so should i spend it to get special BA or start working on my application. Also is the subject test in Math going to be of any use?

I don't think the special BA will really add much value and think you would be better off using that extra time to focus on your application/GRE test.

The GRE subject test doesn't add that much value and is probably a better option for people with weak math backgrounds to show that they have the knowledge. That is more in terms of MFE and other masters programs, the only programs that really mention the GRE math test are PhD programs. So if you think you may consider doing a PhD in the next 5 years you may want to go ahead and take the GRE subject test.

In summary start working on your application. :D

I think Connor is right that the extra piece of paper makes much difference, but the more maths and programming you know, the better your career options.

Back