• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

applying for fall 2007

Hi,
I am new here.I am planning to apply for Fall 2007.My background is I have Bachelors in Science with concentration in Math from India and after that I did 3 yrs of internship in finance and accounting with a reputed firm and working in finance field right now in MD, USA.I am planning to take up GRE in dec.Though I have taken up all necessary math papers during my undergrad, it was sometime before.Hence if admitted, will the refresher courses suffice this requirement of reqd math.Any other tips and guidances also will be of gr8 help in the application process.

Thanks,
Aparna

Aparna said:
Hence if admitted, will the refresher courses suffice this requirement of reqd math.Any other tips and guidances also will be of gr8 help in the application process.
Depending on the courses you took, the committee may ask that you take some, none or all of the refresher courses. You said you took them a long time ago so chances are you forgot all of them. The consensual thinking among this year incoming students is to take every refresher course whenever possible.
How is your C++ skills? Is it up to date? if not, make sure you have a working knowledge of C++ before entering the program.
The usual advices: get good GRE score, write excellent SOP, get great letters of recommendation and apply early.

Hi Andy,
Thx a lot for your reply. I have studied C++..but not worked on that..I am working on capital markets segment.Reco letters I have got from my professors of Math dept and current employer as well.Writing GRE this dec, preparing with official guide and kaplan.

Thanks,
Aparna

Since your undergrad degree is NOT from US, you may be required to take TOEFL which is not a bad thing. If you don't get a great score on GRE verbal section, then a good TOEFL will do just fine for you.
Also, since you are in the DC area, if you have a chance, schedule to go to one of the upcoming Baruch's MFE open houses and meet the director, Prof. Stefanica at the same time. It may improve your chance a bit :D

Open House follow up

Hi,
I attended the open house held on 17th and met with Prof Stefanica which was very impressing and motivating.I sent an email with the attachment filled in the excel format to Ms.Nelisa about attending a class of Prof Stefanica, but not received any reply after that.Should I get in touch with the dept with this? Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aparna

Aprana,
Nelisa is the right person to contact regarding Prof. Stefanica's schedule. If you email the Dept, you send it to the wrong place.
Your email is on a queue and it will be answered by Nelisa as soon as she gets to it.

We have many emails from prospective students and it will take some time to reply to all so please be patient ;)
At least, you have a pretty quick response on Quantnet, right ? :smt006
Andy

I'm not sure what Dan instructed you to do but I would follow his instructions, dont forget that he probably receives 100's of emails daily, so be patient.

Hi Andy,
Thx for your reply.I had replied to Nelisa's email only.I am not hurried or anything.Just that, probably curious to attend Prof Stef's class ;)
yes quantnet is indeed a tremendous resource.

Thanks.

Email was sent on 10/18/06

Dear Aparna Anand:

There must have been some confusion or some uncertainty. On October 18, I sent you an email and in this email, I stated that Prof. Stefanica will like to meet with you on Wednesday 1st November, 2006 at 5:30pm. Also on that same evening, you will have the opportunity to sit in one of his classes. You did send me an email with the response to the questionnaire and what I have gathered from your reply was that you will be coming today at 5:30pm. Can you please confirm this meeting time with me? Thank you very much and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to email me. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,
Nelisa Roach.

Typo: Not Today, But Tomorrow!

Dear Aparna Anand:

I meant on Wednesday 1st November, 2006 -- not today. Can you come and meet with Prof. Stefanica at 5:30pm on that day? Please let me know. I apologize for the typo.

Sincerely,

Nelisa Roach.

Hi Nelisa,
Thanks for your response.I replied to ur email.Sorry I misunderstood initially that Nov 1st appointment is to meet the director, hence I had said in my reply email that I already met with him on a personal appointment I had this 17th Oct.Sorry for the confusion from my side.
I will be there on Nov 1st at 5.30 pm.Thank u so much for your help and concern in this.

Have a nice day,
Aparna

Back