• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applying to Masters in Finance programs

Hey, I am new to this forum so I have a few questions to ask. I graduated from Johns Hopkins in 2008 with an Econ degree (premed concentration) and a GPA of 3.61. I received between A/A- in all quantitative classes (micro theory, macro theory, econometrics, prob/stats, etc.). The thing is I have zero experience in the finance industry. Upon graduation, I used my premed background to work as a research assistant in a cancer research lab at Johns Hopkins Medical Institution and I have a publication in highly-regarded peer reviewed journal. The thing is I just realized that I do not want to pursue my career in medicine anymore and would like to switch to finance. Do Master Programs look down on people who are looking to switch their career? I am planning to take the GRE in a couple months and apply to Master Programs in Finance both in the US and UK.Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

You said master's in finance, as in non-quantitative?

Here's a little secret: if it's being taught across the country, it's priced into the price of securities already.

Your employer can teach you finance. You need to learn the harder math and programming.

No, I mean I am looking to apply to Masters Program in Finance/Financial Engineering so that I can get a job in the financial sector. And I mean quantitative programs as well, not just basic finance stuff. As of now, I have ZERO work experience in the financial industry and it would be hard to find a job with just a BA in Econ.

Oh, in that case, definitely try to stick in NYC. IMO you probably can't replace the fact that it's a recruiting spot just a subway's ride away for financial professionals. NYU is obnoxiously expensive, and I have a friend who's doing Columbia MSFE and he says it's not bad. As for Baruch, from my experience with meeting its people, they're really fun and cool.

Back