• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

applying to MFE programs with or without MS degree

First off just wanted to say thanks and that I consistently am on this site and love all the resources it provides. I am a current junior studying applied math and minoring in economics and I have hopes of attending a top MFE program.

I am in a 5 year bs/ms accelerated program on a full tuition scholarship for all 5 years...one problem...the school has no reputation. I chose to attend because it was free and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. however of late I am seeing how hard it will be and if I knew a career in finance is what I would ultimately want to pursue, I would be on this forum reading from a target school.

My question is should I apply to the MFE's next year and go straight from undergrad...or are my chances higher with the additional ms in applied math. Just not sure which will be more valuable since the school is low tier and I do not know what a Ms. and an MFE with no work exp will look like to future employers. help is greatly appreciated

A MS degree will improve your application, it also indicates that you can handle grad work.
Actually, anything that distinguishes you from other applicants is good for you.
Many programs would prefer you to have some financial experience.
If you think your application is good enough without the masters, apply. You have nothing to lose...

Back