• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Are asset managers as picky about university as investment banks for quant roles?

When looking up quants at some asset managers on LinkedIn to see their backgrounds (Blackrock, M&G, GS Asset Management, Legal and General), while there are indeed some from Imperial and some with PhDs, there are also some others with BSc / MSc from other universities which, while still very good universities, are not Oxford / Cambridge / Imperial. To be clear, my preference is to work specifically as a quant in asset management. I am also interested in quant trading but am not keen on the hours and I value work\life balance so I don't think this would be a sustainable career path for me. Also from what I gather this type of role typically requires a PhD anyway.

So my question is:

1. Would a top 10 university Mathematics degree + Masters from non-top 10 Russell group uni be sufficient to break into a quant role at an asset manager (+ some online courses in machine learning) and 3 years experience as a quant on the sell-side?

2. I notice on LinkedIn some asset managers employ quants but not on graduate schemes (e.g. Schroders, Legal and General), and often these are promoted from standard investment analyst graduate schemes (not specifically quant streams). Is this a common route to break into a quant investment analyst role for asset managers? Basically start more generalised investment analyst and then get placed in a quant team after the grad scheme?

Thanks

Last edited:
they receive 100s of resumes and usually pick 10 to interview who happen to have the right experience and or coming from good universities.

Back