• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Average salaries for quants

I have heard this many times that the quant job market these days have more quant than the demand. Finance does not offer much job opportunities anymore.

How much of this is true. Or is the market trend going to change in couple of years for better.

Also, is the market for financial engineers shrinking!

quant jobs

Look folks, it's quality that counts. There used to be 3 MS programs in Finance. Now there are close to 50. I see lots of people that can solve PDE's, but not that many that can evaluate and test a pricing model, query a 100 million record database to find the information needed, or create simple graphics to tell a complex story. I see a lot of people with impressive skill sets listed on their resumes, but not too many that can describe exactly how those skills can be used in the real world.

Stop worrying about "the market" and start worrying about exactly what you're learning. Find out what skills are in demand. Stop focusing only on trading jobs and expand your horizons. And network, network, network.

Apart from trading, structuring products (pretty difficult to come by): where else would you need financial engineers.

This might be a dumb question, but nonetheless I got to start somewhere.

I thought I'd throw in my two cents here, for what it's worth. From someone who hasn't worked a day in quant finance, no less. :)

I think if your mindset is, "I'm going to get a degree in quant finance, and sail on easy street to riches!", I think you're mistaken. I am passionate about quant finance, and I am hungry to learn as much as I can. But......I think the key to success in any field is driving innovation. The idea of applying math/statistics to solve finance problems was once a new idea, and it took those early practitioners guts and heart to go out and apply it in a commercial setting.

I think getting a degree in quant finance is awesome, and communicates to others that you're a smart person. Not only that, having a strong technical background helps you answer questions about the world others aren't able to.

But I think it's really up to you to make your mark in the field, and strive to bring something new to the table.

Back