• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bachelor in Economics and Management

I am an italian student and I want to take a master in financial engineering/computational finance in the next 1/2 years.
This my background:
I have just finished my bachelor degree in Economics and Management at Luiss University and I got a degree grade of 110 cum laude/110 and my GPA was 29.33/30 (italian GPA; in Italy bachelors last 3 years). During my last year I discovered my interest in computational finance and, because my studies were not quant enough, I decided to take a "gap year" before starting a master to improve my chances of entering a top quant university.
I did my bachelor thesis about stochastic processes and stock options' pricing techniques on Python 3.7, writing a code to price European stock options with the Black-Sholes method, the MonteCarlo method and the binomial method. I followed some course, gaining certificates, of MatLab and R and I am currently taking the C++ course for Financial Engineering. I am currently doing an internship at American Express as Credit Data Analyst and most of my job is in VBA. During my bachelor studies I had classes of mathematics and statistics but to a little extent, therefore I am taking 3 exams at Luiss University in Mathematical Methods for Finance and Probability from the Master in Finance and Applied Statistics and Econometrics from the Bachelor in Finance. I have to take the GRE (I have already taken the GMAT scoring 700 but with a low quant score) and I am planning to apply for a master at Berkley, Columbia, MIT, Stanford in December. Alternatively, I might be taken for a job (waiting for the result of my interview) related to Finance but not for a really quant position (in risk management, but not at a high level). In this scenario I will probably start this job and apply for the master one year later.
This being said, I would like to have a honest opinion about my chances of being admitted to a top university.
Thanks!!

Strange site error when trying to post. Ended up being one of the urls. Anyway. Sent PM instead.

Last edited:
Back