• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Barclays removing admin accounts for developers?

Because of "regulatory reasons", developers' admin accounts are being removed at Barclays and being replaced with some software that is "suppose" to work the same way. Is this happening at any other bank? No idea how I can be a developer without admin rights since I need to "install and test" what I write. From what I hear, the software does not work as advertised, but the people making the call are NOT developers and do not seem to care

I had admin access to my local PC at my previous employer (a large investment bank). However, access to production servers was locked down and you had to deal with a separate 'production support' team to get access. They were based in India (outsourced) and barely spoke English.

There are a lot of people in compliance who have no idea what the implications of their 'remedial activities' are. They need to be doing something to justify their jobs, eventually...and of course senior management does not have any idea either.

Also at my current employer there is some kind of power struggle between Development/Quants and Production Support fighting for a bigger piece of the pie. Developers/quants want full access to production, but Production Support keeps saying that it's risky and only they should be allowed access.

My old employer requires all capital market machines to be locked down but allows developers to request for exemptions with business justifications and approval. It ends up pretty loose because some apps require admin rights to run and may have some issues without the admin rights. Usually priority is to make money than to adhere to compliance...

Because of "regulatory reasons", developers' admin accounts are being removed at Barclays and being replaced with some software that is "suppose" to work the same way. Is this happening at any other bank? No idea how I can be a developer without admin rights since I need to "install and test" what I write. From what I hear, the software does not work as advertised, but the people making the call are NOT developers and do not seem to care
Just out of curiosity, why are you posting this?

Regarding Windows, I reckon access control/security is a challenge (a mess?). The original goal was to make NT like VAX/VMS, in which all these issues worked like a dream. But I think they cut corners in favour of shipping the product.

Access control methods of VAX/VMS

In summary, VMS is an extremely secure operating system. Of equal importance, however, is the care and meticulous attention most VMS System Administrators pay towards the security management of their box or cluster of boxes.

Last edited:
Maybe he is a quant/quant developer and wants to find a new bank to work for?
I once managed a site of 30 unix, 5 VAX and 3000 pcs. One day a new scientist from the States with his Mac under him arm plugged the Mac into the cable. Of course, he needed a IP address, so he just chose one. However, it was coincidentally the same IP as that of the DNS server. It took me 2 days to track him down :D

Developers? :)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Back