• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE Employment Statistics for December 2011 graduates

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
As of January 20, 2012, 16 of 17 December 2011 Baruch MFE graduates seeking employment in the financial industry received offers from financial companies primarily from the New York area.

First Year Guaranteed Compensation

Graduation Placement Rate High/Low/Median/Average
Dec 2011 16 of 17 150K/70K/95K/101K
Dec10-May11 19 of 19 130K/75K/95K/96K
Dec09-May10 27 of 29 120K/75K/97.5K/96K
Dec08-May09 19 of 21 125K/65K/92.5K/92K

First Year Starting Salary

Dec 2011 16 of 17 135K/70K/90K/92K
Dec10-May11 19 of 19 130K/75K/90K/93K
Dec09-May10 27 of 29 110K/75K/90K/90K
Dec08-May09 19 of 21 115K/65K/85K/84K

First Year Starting Salary for graduates with no relevant work experience

Dec 2011 11 of 11 100K/70K/85K/86K
Dec10-May11 14 of 14 105K/75K/90K/87K
Dec09-May10 21 of 22 97K/75K/90K/88K
Dec08-May09 16 of 18 115K/65K/85K/82K

Employers (by type)
Investment banks 68%
Hedge funds 19%
Financial data 6%
Financial software 6%

Hong Kong 6%

Employers (some with multiple hires; selected)
Bank of America Merril Lynch
Barclays Capital
Bloomberg
First New York
Goldman Sachs
Morgan Stanley
Numerix
Quantbot
RBS
State Street

Positions
Associate, Financial Engineering
Associate, Market Risk
Associate, Operational Risk
Associate, Order Execution
Financial Engineer
Financial Software developer
Market Risk Analyst
Portfolio Analysis Analyst
Portfolio Analytics Software Developer
Quantitative Analyst
Trading Assistant

Note: The first year compensation reported here is the compensation guaranteed at the time of employment. It consists of the starting salary plus the signing bonus plus any first year bonus guaranteed in the offer letter, if any. The annual performance-based bonus is not included here. In other words, the first year total compensation of our graduates is higher than the guaranteed compensation reported.

The 2009-2011 Baruch MFE Employment Report is available at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2009-2011_Baruch_MFE_Employment_Report.pdf

More detailed stats will be posted at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/employment-stats

Excerpt from the 01/20 Baruch MFE Chat (full text at http://www.quantnet.com/live/):

Comment From Alice G
Thanks Yingxue! And I also want to know about the situation of job placement for the international MFE students this year and the chance working in NY.
Yingxue Li:
Alice, there are 4 people from mainland China directly in my class, so far all of us have found a fulltime job and all in NYC.
This should be regarded as a reflection on the strength of our students and the practical quality of their education, rather than on the state of the job market.

Baruch continues to amaze me; by far the best bang for your buck. By the way, expect an application from me soon. Wrapping up my Ph.D. now.
As of January 20, 2012, 16 of 17 December 2011 Baruch MFE graduates seeking employment in the financial industry received offers from financial companies primarily from the New York area.

First Year Guaranteed Compensation

Dec 2011 16 of 17 150K/70K/95K/101K
Dec10-May11 19 of 19 130K/75K/95K/96K
Dec09-May10 27 of 29 120K/75K/97.5K/96K
Dec08-May09 19 of 21 125K/65K/92.5K/92K

Baruch continues to amaze me; by far the best bang for your buck. By the way, expect an application from me soon. Wrapping up my Ph.D. now.

Agreed. Many thanks to Prof Stefanica for his contributions and transparency. It's a real shame that people will fork over almost double Baruch's tution to attend a program that is attached to a more prestigious university (Columbia MAFN comes to mind... I was unfortunate enough to take a class taught by the director of the program (Professor Smirnov) and it was excruciating to say the least. Not only is he a horrible teacher, but he is rather arrogant and mean)

*Just read over what I wrote about Professor Smirnov... I 100% stand by what I wrote but if mods believe that it verges on slander please feel free to edit.

Also, don't want to turn this into a Baruch vs X program thread; just want to congratulate Baruch and Dan on their accomplishments.

Many thanks to Prof Stefanica for his contributions and transparency.

Transparency just makes sense.

just want to congratulate Baruch and Dan on their accomplishments.
Thank you.
That said, the success of our graduates is not due to me - but to the entire community of alumni, faculty (Jim Gatheral is making a huge difference in all aspects of the program), instructors from industry (who are very dedicated to educating and helping our students), and to a great deal of support from Baruch College. And, of course, our students are very strong and make strides in the program.

16/17 students have offer . That's great. However, I am a little bit curious, what happened to that last student ? :) . Did he go to grad school for a PhD or have a job outside US ?

Updated employment information for the December 2011 - May 2012 graduates can be found at
http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/employment-stats/

The numbers refer to placement status three months after graduation. A student who finds employment later on (regardless of geographical location) does not appear in the statistics as having found employment.

baruch is definitely the best in terms of quality/ cost ratio, however when we see the positions taken by last year graduates we figure out that it doesn't worth it anymore, doing an MFE at a top university must be awarded at least by a front office role..not to do op risk, market risk or portfolio analysis

well, maybe not all of those graduates want a front office role. likewise, there may not be many such roles to go about where competition is concerned.

baruch is definitely the best in terms of quality/ cost ratio, however when we see the positions taken by last year graduates we figure out that it doesn't worth it anymore, doing an MFE at a top university must be awarded at least by a front office role..not to do op risk, market risk or portfolio analysis
Throll, you are missing important point here: people select positions based on their personal career/lifestyle preferences. Apparently, not everyone wants to spend their time and health working on a busy stressful trading desk.

If I said MSF is subset of MFE, Would I be still wrong? I came to this conclusion from the career placement. It seems like MFE grads all over the place.

sure, and so MFE is a subset of GED cuz high school diploma holders are all over the place as well

sure, and so MFE is a subset of GED cuz high school diploma holders are all over the place as well

am I supposed to teach u set, subset and etc here. I thought u did all those in ur GED. ;)

you would have been right in wider perspective, if you said GED is subset of MFE o_O

Throll, you are missing important point here: people select positions based on their personal career/lifestyle preferences. Apparently, not everyone wants to spend their time and health working on a busy stressful trading desk.
maybe..but i don't think you need an MFE for that, a good bachelor and one can get easily a grad position in risk or finance departments of banks

Back