• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE - Jobs not involving C++

Hi,

To give you a brief background, I have a bachelors degree in engineering from a top 3 institute in India, passed CFA L1 , would be appearing& hopefully passing CFA L2 before I join a masters program in 2011. I have 3 years work experince as a business analyst on the technology side of a big 4 audit firm.

I am considering MFE as a pathway into finance based quantitative roles. I mean to say areas which focus heavily in finance - economic capital, structured finance , fixed income research.I am comfortable in using SAS/VBA type of tools for coding but not so comfortable in using C++.I know Baruch curriculum uses C++ and that's perfectly fine. I just don't want to use C++ as my job. The reason is once you start coding in C++ its very difficult to move into the finance side.

Is MFE from Baruch (or elsewhere) the correct option for me ?

Correct me if I am wrong. If you are planning to move from IT (BA) to quant role in IBs / hedge funds, MFE could be a good pathway------but nothing is guaranteed. Most real quant roles, if not require sold C++ programming skill, might ask for some other programming languages.
As a matter of fact, once your CV is marked with IT, recuiters/potential employers most possibly will put you into IT category. If you simply want to move close to business, either MBA, accounting, or MFE can be turning point, but depends on the job market.

C++

If you good at C++ and math plus a bit of finance, you are almost surely make it through to the quant areas. Frankly speaking, C++ is a key to unlock the door to the profession....unless you are really good at maths with a PhD. My two bits.

In the Baruch MFE Program you learn to use C++ for financial applications, which is what you do a good part of the time in front office quant positions.

Not learning C++ may very well close a lot career paths. Learning C++ opens them.

Back