• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE prereqs

Hi

Some background information
GMAT 720 q49 v40
CFA L3 Candidate
Age 24
Binghamton University - graduated Cum Laude
Management - Finance major

I do not have most of the prerequisites but I would like to apply to the MFE program in one or two years from now.

I am missing all the prerequisites except Calculus I. What can I do to further my prereq "credentials" to increase my chances?

I am missing all the prerequisites except Calculus I. What can I do to further my prereq "credentials" to increase my chances?
Is this a trick question ?
You rectify that by taking those required courses and passing them with A.
You try to be more competitive by going extra miles. If they officially require one C++ course, you take extra C++ courses, doing extra C++ projects, etc.
One year or two years would give you enough time to meet the requirements

Is this a trick question ?
You rectify that by taking those required courses and passing them with A.
You try to be more competitive by going extra miles. If they officially require one C++ course, you take extra C++ courses, doing extra C++ projects, etc.
One year or two years would give you enough time to meet the requirements
are u directly implying that i should take post undergraduate courses at Baruch (or any accredited college?)

Even if you're admitted, you should ask yourself as to how much you can benefit from a quantitative program if your math background is weak. What you should have at a minimum is a year of calculus (upto and including partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and power series), at least one semester of linear algebra (upto and including eigenvalues and the spectral theorem), at least one course in ODEs (including simple numerical methods), one calculus-based probability course, one course in theoretical stastistics, and ideally some exposure to scientific computing (numerical analysis + coding in a high-level language). This is a bare minimum. Some exposure to PDEs would be an added benefit, as would some exposure to real analysis (would help with the theoretical arguments in probability, stochastic, and numerical analysis).

The one book I unequivocally recommend for calculus is Gilbert Strang's "Calculus." Make it your bible.

are u directly implying that i should take post undergraduate courses at Baruch (or any accredited college?)
I'm not directly implying that you should take course at any specific college since for all I know, you may be living in Alaska.
Just as Joshua said, take courses at any college/university convenience to you and community college is an inexpensive way to fill the gaps.

Even if you're admitted, you should ask yourself as to how much you can benefit from a quantitative program if your math background is weak. What you should have at a minimum is a year of calculus (upto and including partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and power series), at least one semester of linear algebra (upto and including eigenvalues and the spectral theorem), at least one course in ODEs (including simple numerical methods), one calculus-based probability course, one course in theoretical stastistics, and ideally some exposure to scientific computing (numerical analysis + coding in a high-level language). This is a bare minimum. Some exposure to PDEs would be an added benefit, as would some exposure to real analysis (would help with the theoretical arguments in probability, stochastic, and numerical analysis).

The one book I unequivocally recommend for calculus is Gilbert Strang's "Calculus." Make it your bible.
thanks for the insight. i think my analytical skills are good but i will pick up that book and take your advice to heart.

hi andy, can u give me the course codes for the prereqs at Baruch (I live 30 minutes away)since you're more keen to the exact prereqs?

Baruch refresher courses

I thought I'd ask my question here as it's somewhat related to this.

Are Baruch refresher courses free? Or do you have to pay for them?

-Don

The courses cost money, but it is very reasonable. The prices range from $250 - $750 I believe.

Correct. It is important to note that the refresher courses are only open to students admitted in the Baruch MFE program.

Back