• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch or CCNY for undergrad?

To anyone familiar with both CCNYs and Baruch undergraduate programs, I would appreciate your comments.

FYI, I am a communty college student at the Borough of Manhattan Community College.
I am debating on transfering to either Baruch or City College of New York for their undergrad program. If I were to transfer to Baruch, a Finance major with a math minor would interest me the most. But if I were to transfer to CCNY, an applied math major: finance concentration, with either physics or economics as a double or a minor, would interest me the most there.
I love both programs, but I am unsure as to which college would provide me with the biggest opportunity to get a wall street job.
My ultimate goal is to obtain a MFE degree from any NYU, Columbia or Baruch.

CCNYs applied math program: http://math.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/pages?name=major_description

Go to CCNY and study mathematics, engineering, physics, etc. You can always take summer classes or audit evening finance classes at Baruch. You have more flexibility with a hard science degree after graduation. They also offer a math finance class at CCNY at the ugrad level - usually taught by an alumni of Courant- his name escapes me at the moment.

So i've decided to attend CCNY for its computer engineering program. Now how useful would computer engineering be for wall street jobs? specifically trading jobs?

Im not going into a computer engineering program just for a wall street job, i trully do enjoy the curriculum and might even considered non wall street jobs.

Keep in mind that the CCNY CompEng major is a merge between CompSci and EE. Some required EE courses may not be applicable to non-EE jobs such as Analog Circuits, ElectroMag, SemiConductor Phy, etc. But these will strengthen your problem solving and applied math skills nevertheless. Afterwards, the transition to MFE will be a smooth one assuming you had a finance related minor or read through John Hull/Wilmott. Good luck.

Is it better to transfer to another school to do comp egineering if at my current school I'm doing double in math/physics?

Is it an advantage?

Can anyone share their experiences about NYU Poly?
Being that these two colleges merged, Poly students can take NYU classes and vice versa.
Is Poly a good good school to transfer into for their mathematics program?

Back